(CA) As the noose tightens - further additions to AW registration = ban

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
For all those in Kali looking for that PC assault or offensive/defensive rifle ... read on. Might want to get a sling-shot (oops!) those are already regulated ....

We have already had the Fed Guvmint show the list of "never to be banned" (allowable always for sporting purposes) rifles, et al - so did Kali (sorta).

Doesn't matter. They lie. (duh!)

Off topic, but looks like the BMG .50 cal is in the spotlight nationwide 'cause "there's just no way to stop one." Look for much additional heat on this caliber soon.

Forwarded from TRT-CA without further (as if it was needed).
http://www.calnra.org/calruling.htm

"Roberti-Roos Assault Weapon Act alive and well in California.

Additional firearms are expected to be added
to the 1989 bill, in effect plugging the holes of SB-23.

Ralph Weller
CalNRA.org Contributing Editor

11 July, 2000 - On June 29, 2000 the California Supreme Court ruled that certain aspects of the 1989 Roberti-Roos law that bans specifically named firearms by make and model is constitutional under California law. The ruling opens the door wide for Attorney General Lockyer to add firearms to the original list, to the tune of another 120 or more firearms, which is exactly what he intends to do.

For example, the original law banned the Colt AR-15 from sale in California and required owners to register their AR-15. The law makes a provision for the Attorney General to add clones or similar firearms with approval from a judge. As a result of the court ruling, the Colt Sporter, which is not listed in the original law will no doubt be added to the Roberti-Roos list among others banning the their sale, as does SB-23, and requiring registration of owners.

The court ruling, in a nutshell, says the A.G. can change the law and, indeed, all he needs is approval from a judge. The ruling is a reversal of a lower court's ruling saying that adding firearms in this manner was unconstitutional.

Some think that because California passed a new law in 1999 banning firearms with certain characteristics e.g. pistol grips, flash suppressors etc, that the Roberti-Roos law no longer exists. Here's the bad news. The Roberti-Roos law is alive and well and still enforceable.

Attorney General Lockyer was so certain of a ruling in his favor, (he knows the California Supreme Court is very anti-gun) that he formed a group of folks in Sacramento in May of this year, almost two months in advance of the ruling, to review firearms they consider to be clones of the original firearms identified in the Roberti-Roos law. Firearms will be added to the list, essentially making the 1999 law nothing more than an exercise in poor law-making.

Essentially, if a firearm is added to the list, which most certainly will happen, simply removing the offending characteristics listed on the new 1999 law will not be enough to avoid registration. If your semi-auto with a detachable magazine has nothing more than a pistol grip, which you remove, but it ends up listed by make and model per Roberti-Roos, there is no way to make your firearm a "non-assault weapon" and, according to the law, will require registration within one year after the list is published.

Will there be an appeal to a federal court? No formal announcements have been made so far. No doubt, a complete review of the ruling is underway and options are being weighed as to whether further court battles stand a chance of achieving a reversal of the California court ruling. However, there is a reasonable probability that a federal court challenge will be made in light of a previous appeals court ruling that conflicts with the latest California Supreme Court ruling.

Meanwhile, we expect firearms, by make and model, to be added to the original 19 within the next few months. The issue at hand is timing. Will Attorney General Lockyer add to the list prior to the November elections? Or, will he hold off until after the elections to support Governor Davis' desire to not rile up the natives during an election year?

We'll keep you posted as more information becomes available.

This article may be copied and distributed in whole providing credit is given to CalNRA.org

CalNRA.org Home"

EricM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by labgrade:
Essentially, if a firearm is added to the list, which most certainly will happen, simply removing the offending characteristics listed on the new 1999 law will not be enough to avoid registration. If your semi-auto with a detachable magazine has nothing more than a pistol grip, which you remove, but it ends up listed by make and model per Roberti-Roos, there is no way to make your firearm a "non-assault weapon" and, according to the law, will require registration within one year after the list is published. [/quote]

May as well put the pistol grip back on and the bayonet and folding stock, etc. If you're going to be a criminal, may as well do it right. :)

woodit

Happened in April here in the PRM when the AG unilaterally declared all new semi-autos illegal under "consumer protection" law.

There are 1.2M gun owners here in the PRM and yet just 20,000 belong to GOAL.

And hunters do not, as a rule, vote.

Just great.

USP45usp

Would this be wrong? I am moving to Oregon, which so far, california hasn't dictatied it's gun laws. But, just for the hell of it, I was thinking of doing this: Go the the Oregon/kalifornia boarder. Have in my car my SKS with a 30rd mag, bayonet lug, flash suppressor, and pistol grip (oh, and folding stock). Drive into kalifornia about a foot or two and then back out. This way, it's like, Felon, not a felon, felon, not a felon type deal. I can be AL Capone(sp) one second and the average Joe Blow the next. And to make it even better.. I'll load up the 30rd, non-fixed, mag but just to be on the safe side, won't chamber it.

USP45usp

Still got wild oats to spead... why the hell not.

labgrade

Member In Memoriam
USP :) but don't waste the gas. Just stand with your legs bracketing the border & hop back & forth.

I guess it'd be kinda like takin' a leak on the continental divide ;) 'cept I'd aim south.