C308 or ptr 91 any diffrence, wich one to buy ?

Sterling

Help me from buying a junker. Im wanting to buy one of these the C308 is roughly 250$ less I understand its made from new old stock surplus parts and may be inferior to the PTR 91 qaulity wise. So....anyone own one of these or know the real story, share what you know please. btw I saw the C308 1k rd torture test on youtube......ouch man that was ugly, certainly did not perform like a "robust HK designed military weapon" more like a gorila made gun. thing is localy its 650$ pre tax and the PTR 91 is 899$ pre ship/ffl. who knows could be real video or fakery.

marine6680

Century has a checkered past with their parts built rifles. The new ones may be 100% good to go, I don't know.

What I do know...

The PTR is made from new parts and is said to be top notch quality.

Pond James Pond

I seem to recall another member talking about the PTR a while back (username: Model12win, I think?).

Have a quick search and you may find that thread.

MJN77

With a Century made gun, you may get a good rifle, but you may get a pile of junk. I have heard, that Century's customer service can be hit or miss. Have never dealt with them so, take that for what it's worth. I am on my second PTR. The first one I had a few years ago, was an older one, and while it was well made and functioned well, I couldn't get it to shoot that well for me. And I hated the plastic lower/trigger housing. I ended up trading it off. A few months ago, I decided to give PTR another try. I had heard that in the last few years they improved a few things about them. Atlantic Firearms had a sale on the GI model for $899 with surplus cleaning kit, sling and free shipping. http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...rifle-paddle-mag-release-detail.html?Itemid=0
The new one has the metal trigger housing and the paddle magazine release. It also has the optics rail welded to the top, so putting a sight/scope on it is easy. Mine wears a Vortex Sparc 2. This one shoots quite well. With surplus I get 1 1/2-2 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I think the PTR is your best bet and I think they are worth the money.

ttarp

The PTR has much nicer iron sights if that matters to you, but I really haven't heard anything bad about the new C308's. The receiver and barrel are put together by PTR I think, and those were the root of the problem with century guns, so you don't have to worry about that.

dakota.potts

The CETME is not an inherently lesser (only older) platform. Unfortunately Century has had some crude problems do to the rather crude methods used to build them. Get the PTR.

I'm currently building a CETME on a G3 receiver and barrel, and it's obvious to me the amount of shortcuts century has taken and why they have the issues they do

On "THR", this topic might still be there, under "Rifles".

Is the PTR-91 considered as reliable as the AR-10 and M-1A, or is there a huge price difference?

Much lower prices for a specific make, i.e. the Century CETMEs always arouse my suspicions.

ttarp

Is the PTR-91 considered as reliable as the AR-10 and M-1A, or is there a huge price difference?

The PTR's could be considered more reliable with less maintenance involved. They're usually at least a couple of bills cheaper, but they are heavy and somewhat ungainly rifles and less accurate than the other two.

5.56RifleGuy

Get the PTR. Much better quality. Im trying ti fix a century one where the cocking tube is crudely attached. It wont fire more than a few shots without jamming.

FairWarning

I can only speak for PTR, which is top notch! :D

I recently picked up a PTR 91 FR, which has an 18" bull barrel, welded scope and bipod rails, and a mag release paddle. It is a SEXY beast! Said to be very comparable to the thing, and it was just a smidgen over $1000 brand new with hard case until the Orlando Shooting; but the price has since grown by over $200.