C.R. Sam and rest, my anti-gun friend read the article, and he has a rebuttal!!

HAWK-HKG11

I decided to start a new thread for better discussion. My "partially" anti-gun friend in the other post actually read some parts of that article you recommended and also all of the responses here on TFL and he feels compelled enough by its position that he wrote a rebuttal against a section which he wants me to post.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Response to "Communitarians, Neorepublicans, and Guns" Article, found here:

http://i2i.org/SuptDocs/Crime/commun2.htm#sn23

I must say, it is a very well written paper by Kopel and Little and nearly directly addresses the ultimate viewpoint that I have: disarmament in order to lower violent crime. I disagree with Pro-Gun advocates in that I do believe that the lack of guns in private hands will reduce violent crime. I do not agree with extreme anti-Gun advocates in that I do not believe that guns cause violence, that guns are "evil." Having said that, the only parts of this document which apply to my argument are in the "Guns and Public Safety" section. Let me clarify. My theory is just that: a theory. Something in the subjective mindscape of personal views and opinions. I THINK that disarmament will reduce crime based on the evidence that I've seen. So, given this, I don't have to really provide, in detail, how it can be implemented. I know that it cannot be implemented, due to the nature and number of those who disagree with me. And of course, that is the beauty of freedom of thought. I can think one thing, and others can just as vehemently believe another. I don't hold any personal vendetta against those who wish to arm themselves, I will not wave my arms frantically in the air and shout "Think of the children!" I merely feel differently from the Pro-Gun community. For this reason, though I personally feel that firearms are not beneficiary to crime reduction, I will likely never lobby or politically push for new laws to change it. In short, I will not force others to adopt my views. Meanwhile, this also frees me from actually needing to draw a blueprint for disarmament. I don't have to have a tangible plan on how to carry it out. I have this vague idea that it is actually impossible to do realistically in this society. So, many of the issues that Kopel and Little state (Constitutional law - which I am certainly not qualified to challenge or even speak of, and the difficulties of implementation - noncompliance and resistance) do not hold any bearing to my argument. Let me thus start with Part II, Section IV: Guns and Public Safety.

A) Kopel argues that crime in Rural areas is low, without consideration for the extremely disproportionate population density in those areas while stressing good points like trauma centers which benefit his argument.

B) "The facts suggest that cultural or socioeconomic variables figure much more heavily into the violence phenomenon than does access to firearms."

Which ignores that these same cultural and socioeconomic variables will only stack onto the lethality of firearms. That is, if we were a disarmed nation of psychopaths, we'd be a lot less deadly than if we all had Glocks.

C) He brings Japan into the picture now, but argues incorrectly about its political system. While the national culture and ideology of Japan may be one of the most conformist on Earth, it hardly springs from the political system. Rather, the nature of the Japanese Diet springs from its national culture, the result of a thousand years of a strict disciplinary moral code, which has only increased in severity due to its defeat and subsequent shame in World War 2. Kopel also ignores the duality of Japanese culture: that is, the one side which is the professional and conformist face, the other that belies the Japanese' cry for individuality through wonton decadence. It is that duality and the transition from one side to another which would seemingly cause massive sociological problems leading to violent crime in Japan, but this has only manifested itself in extremely rare incidents. The moral and social issues of Japan are too complex to simply dismiss as being "anti-individualistic."

D) "Indeed, in most of the countries touted by American gun prohibitionists as models, armed-violence rates were far lower at the turn of the century, when the countries had almost no gun laws, than at the end of this century."

This of course negates the simple fact that private gun ownership and availability were at near zero at this point. If memory serves, the Nambu model A was the first Japanese pistol to be allowed to be offered commercially a few years after the turn of the century, and even then, for social and economic reasons, the vast majority of them were bought by Army and Naval officers for use in their duties.

E) "The Communitarian Network's hypothesis is that individuals (gun owners) must sacrifice their (supposed) rights for the greater good of public safety. [344] A significant body of evidence suggests, however, that the Communitarian Network may have the facts backwards: gun ownership may make a positive impact on public safety and may benefit all persons, not just gun owners. In other words, one of the communitarian objectives--enhancement of public safety through responsible actions that benefit the entire community, not just an individual--is already in place through the mechanism of individual gun ownership."

A very important argument here... but such a claim is ultimately futile in that a significant body of evidence can be collected, and HAS been collected that supports either anti or pro-gun sides. I have no doubt that many of these statistics have been skewed completely out of proportion, with facts intentionally left out. Things like the ridiculous "You're 40-something times likely to shoot yourself/a family member than an armed intruder." Now, we all know that's bull, with the balance tipped by ridiculous things like suicides and all that stuff that shouldn't be part of the equation. But it only serves to question the validity of the use of "statistics" by any party, regardless of political viewpoint.

F) "... the Orlando Police Department sponsored firearms safety training for women [...] witnessed an 88% drop in the number of rapes in Orlando."

Very convincing arguments on the rape cases in Orlando, though it does do quite a bit of speculation in the area of the subsequent increase after the initial introduction of the women's gun training course. However, it seems quite air-tight and well researched otherwise, very effective and damning to my argument :), especially the psychological factors it lists.

G) "In 1982, the Atlanta exurb of Kennesaw passed an ordinance--in symbolic response to the handgun ban of Morton Grove, Illinois--requiring all residents (with certain exceptions, including conscientious *506 objectors) to keep firearms in their homes. [357] In the seven months following enactment of the ordinance there were only five burglaries, compared to forty-five in the same period the preceding year, constituting an 89% decrease in residential burglary. [358] Kleck and Bordua maintain that "the publicized passage of the ordinance may have served to remind potential burglars in the area of the fact of widespread gun ownership, thereby heightening their perception of the risks of burglary." [359]"

That last section is actually not quite so good for this argument. It seems to indicate that the keeping of personal firearms only seems to reduce crime if it is known beforehand that the intended victims are armed. And so, this is a moot point. One cannot force everyone to own a gun on a national level, and without a significant increase in gun ownership, there cannot be an actual decrease in crime in general. Just as the message was sent to rapists in Orlando, the same message must be sent to all criminals everywhere to prevent crimes. Impossible to do unless an arming of a very sizable number of the population is achieved, especially in high-crime areas.

H) "'Gun ownership among prospective victims may well have as large a crime-inhibiting effect as the crime-generating effects of gun possession among prospective criminals . . . . [T]he two effects may roughly cancel each other out [...] The failure to fully acknowledge this reality,' Kleck concluded, 'can lead to grave errors in devising public policy to minimize violence through gun control.' [367] If Kleck is correct, and if attempts to implement drastic gun control policies, such as domestic disarmament, are ever successful, the result will likely only harm America's communities."

An interesting interpretation. I don't see how "the result will likely only harm America's communities" was reached, seeing as how Kleck quoted a mere three lines above that the two factors cancel each other out.

HAWK-HKG11

continued...

I) "The new survey did show that Kleck had been wrong. The most thorough study of defensive gun use found that firearms are used for protection approximately 2.5 million times a year. [370] Shots were usually *508 not fired; merely drawing the gun apparently drove off many would-be assailants. [371]" A bit of math will be handy. Last I heard, a reasonable estimate of gun owners would be 50 million. If we take that 50 million and divide by 2.5, we get a violent crime rate of 5% for those 50 million Americans.

Now, according to my old and dusty copy of The Statistical Abstract of the United States, there were a total of about 1.864 million occurrences of violent crime in 1994 (table 310). Also, the population of the United States in 1994 was 259 million. That's a violent crime of 0.72%, a rate that is somehow nearly 7 times higher than the rate obtained from the "facts" given by Kopel. Now, there can be several possible explanation to this: 1) Gun owners are violent people who pull out their guns at a moment's notice for little reason. 2) Violent crime has jumped 700% between 1994 and the date that this statistic was obtained. 3) Kleck's new survey is incorrect. Now, the first two possibilities are absurd, so I would hope that the third is correct. The fact listed is simply wrong.

Now, it may be argued that it is because the 50 million who are armed WERE armed that they were not victims of those 2.5 million occurrences of violent crime. However, mathematical reasoning proves that this is false by showing that if those 50 million were subjected to 2.5 million attempts of violent crime, then the other 200-odd million unarmed Americans must have been victim to a further 10 million cases of attempted violent crime.

J) "One public policy aimed at crime control that an increasing number of states are exploring and adopting is the liberalization of concealed carry laws. [373] Data suggest that concealed carry laws may reduce homicide and aggravated assault rates. [374] The data are clear that liberalized concealed carry does not lead to gunfights on the streets between licensees. [375] This is because those who go through the rigorous background check usually required under the liberalized law are precisely those most apt to use guns responsibly in the first place. The predictions of those who oppose concealed carry have been proven false in every state where the law has been liberalized: concealed carry does not a John Rambo make."

Agreed! The specific checks evidently enacted for concealed carry makes them the least likely to go and commit violent crime, but it does not negate the overall effects that firearms have on crime.

K) "Because many criminals avoid victimizing people they think may be armed, what might happen to the violent crime rate if more people were armed and possibly carrying a firearm under their coat or in their purse as they walked down the street? Domestic violence would not likely be affected by concealed carry reform (except for stalking cases), but the incidence of "outdoor" crime would likely diminish. In *509 situations in which a high fraction of the population is armed (in contrast to the one to four percent typical today in states that issue concealed handgun permits), predatory crime is virtually nonexistent."

Exactly. A higher percentage of firearms in the populace would likely deter some criminals, but it would take a SIGNIFICANT increase to do so. It would require a ten to twenty-fold increase in conceal carry proponents to make it effective as a deterrent against violent crime on the streets. However, all the arguments made earlier about the impossibility of disarming the populace now applies here: one cannot force a 2000% increase in the carrying of concealed firearms. It shifts the entire argument of "guns reduce crime" into the purely theoretical realm, out of reach of actual implementation. It is food for thought and little else, a good companion alongside the polar opposite theory of disarmament.

L) "Criminals will generally not disarm, and the perception will be created among them that there is less of a chance of encountering an armed victim. This will embolden many criminals to commit crimes they would have been deterred from committing when gun ownership was legal."

Of course, there is no discussion placed on the enforced disarmament of ALL persons. Kopel places much thought onto the problems that would dog disarming innocent persons, but no thought onto the same occurrence happening to those who would use those guns to commit crimes. Especially that line: "Criminals would generally not disarm." I was under the impression that this was not a voluntary disarmament. While one may argue the effectiveness of law enforcement to prevent criminals from gaining access to firearms, I would both say that it would be a far easier task if no guns were available to any private source and that a substantial increase in Police training and numbers could help bridge the theoretical discrepancy.

M) "Accompanying the plainly false presumption of Domestic Disarmament that guns in the right hands make absolutely no positive contribution to public safety is the assumption that "all people"--not just people with felony records, or alcoholics, or other troubled individuals--"kill and are much more likely to do so when armed than when disarmed." [378] There exists thorough criminological refutation of this assumption that the average citizen is a walking time-bomb, a potential murderer kept in check only by the absence of a firearm. [379] In *510 truth, the vast majority of gun owners handle their firearms responsibly."

I have not made this argument in my discussions, but I will answer to it. It is not that all people are "walking time bombs," merely that there exists a percentage of people who are violent by nature in the general population, perhaps a small one, but an existent one nonetheless. This percentage is comparable when applied to gun owners. To say that gun owners are more responsible and less prone to anger is similar to the absurd anti-gun argument that gun owners are less responsible and more prone to anger. So, this small percentage will inevitably endanger us all. If anyone could obtain a gun, then all the current violent crimes committed by knife, baseball bat, or lead pipe would be transformed to far more lethal variations as violent crimes committed with 9mm Parabellum and .40 S&W. I do not have this pessimistic outlook on humanity to say that all of us have some dark anger pent up inside us, but I will not see the rosy idealism that says that none of us have it, that we are all safe and reliable enough to carry guns. So, while it is not "all", it is still "some," though perhaps a very small "some." Even so, enough as to give anyone pause about the implications of easy armament.

N) "If, on the other hand, Etzioni is right, and a huge fraction of the American population would commit murder at some point--given the combination of an upsetting event and a murder instrument--it is hard to imagine how such a population could be considered fit for self-government. The argument that Americans (or people in general) are too hot-tempered, clumsy, and potentially murderous to be trusted with dangerous objects such as firearms might be a good argument for an elitist (of the left-wing or right-wing variety) who believes that "the masses" need to be controlled by the firm hand of a powerful government of their betters. Whatever else might be said about that type of argument, it is thoroughly out-of-place coming from a communitarian, whose philosophy presumes that the American people are fully capable of virtue, responsibility, and self-government."

I've heard that I'm being lauded as an elitist... perhaps that is true, though I suspect that some of my arguments have lost a bit in the translation. Nonetheless, I do not agree with this Etzioni and his "Communitarian" viewpoint in this key point. Hence my counterargument above against this "time bomb" theorem and my general disapproval of totalitarian governments. I return to my introduction point: these are merely my thoughts, my views on the matter. If no one else agrees, so be it. Theirs views will not change, and mine will remain similarly fixed. Thanks for reading.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find many holes and concessions in his response but it's up to you guys to decide...

dZ

Violent crimes on rise
By PETER MICKELBUROUGH, chief police reporter
07aug02

VIOLENT street attacks surged almost 15 per cent in the past year despite the
biggest fall in crime for six years.

There were 25,177 assaults -- 69 a day -- reported to police in the year to
June 30, 3238 more than in 2000-01.

Disturbingly, the use of knives, guns, clubs, bottles and other weapons jumped
38 per cent.

http://heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,4854527%5E2862,00.html

C.R.Sam

Hawk...

Ok, I gave you a tome....

Have some quickies.

If every citizen COULD carry, even if the actual number didn't rise much.....The would be violent criminal will wonder what his odds are, and many would likely get a job.

Australia disarmed.......crime has risen dramatically cause honest citizens obey the law and criminals don't.

Mandatory disarmament disarms the law abiding, not the scofflaw.

Same with England.

Japan has long been a violent society, contrary to what most of the western world has been led to believe.

A violen crime averted by the show or use of a gun is a violent crime that didn't happen......hence not reported.

The kid is a good debator......invite him to join and discuss here. That would spread the burden a bit that you are now carrying alone.

Sam

Guy L Johnson

Sounds too me that there isn't anything wrong with that boy that 1 or 2 trips to the range wouldnt cure and if the real guns make him nervous a good adult air rifle would get him started, after a short while you will see him branching into other shooting disiplins and along with that a shift in opinion.

MeekAndMild

Damn! We've raised another generation with no knowledge of the world! I thought the 60's kids would have been the last ones.

That long winded answer reminds me of an old engineering aphorism:

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.

Hawk, tell your friend he can't get there from here. I suggest you save his answer to disk, get him interested in sports, dating, some properly supervised range shooting et cetera for a half dozen years. Then when you show it to him he'll be so embarrassed you won't have to argue.

Foxy

I was under the impression that this was not a voluntary disarmament. While one may argue the effectiveness of law enforcement to prevent criminals from gaining access to firearms, I would both say that it would be a far easier task if no guns were available to any private source and that a substantial increase in Police training and numbers could help bridge the theoretical discrepancy.

So, he's saying that in addition to completely drying up the supply of guns.. he'd have a huge increase in police numbers, having them search everyone's house to find all of the guns?

Yikes.

Maybe it'd just be easier to install a big TV/Camera system in he walls of all of our houses.

One cannot force everyone to own a gun on a national level, and without a significant increase in gun ownership, there cannot be an actual decrease in crime in general.

Instead of paying for the huge increase in police numbers, subsidize people who would like a decent CCW :) There's your significant increase in gun ownership!

I imagine that it's easier to get, say, 75% of people a gun.. than to make sure that 0% of the people have a gun.

I know that it cannot be implemented

Reminds me of that scene in Monty Python..

1. "I want to have a baby."

2. "What, Stan? You can't have a baby!"

1. "Don't you oppress me!"

2. "I'm not oppressing you! Where would the baby gestate? What'll you do, carry it in a bag?"

1. "It's my right as a man to have a baby."

3. "How about this? It's not the fault of anyone, not even the Romans, that Stan can't have a baby.. but we'll fight for his right to have one!"

2. "Why bother?"

1. "What?"

2. "Why bother fighting for his right to have a baby when he can't have one?"

3. "It's symbolic of our struggle against the Romans!"

2. "Symbolic of his struggle against reality."

I do not have this pessimistic outlook on humanity to say that all of us have some dark anger pent up inside us,

Earlier..

Pshychologically, he argues that all people have inner violent tendencies, and when those tendencies get transfered to a weapon that is SPECIFICALLY designed to kill, then the wrong result occurs.

:confused:

I think I can see where this guy is coming from. Certainly, if you waved a magic wand and made all the guns vanish.. you'd have less gun deaths! (We could wave a wand and get rid of all of the cars and elimate all drunk drivers too while we're at it, I suppose.)

It seems to me that humans managed to kill each other in great numbers even before the advent of the firearm. I don't see why it'd be impossible for people to find out how to work a knife again.

Tom A

My theory is just that: a theory. Something in the subjective mindscape of personal views and opinions.

I have a theory: if everyone were required to wear big fluffy fleece mittens at all times, violent crime would vanish. (OK, anyone with a Kick-Boxing License must also wear big fluffy fleece slippers).

croyance

A) Kopel argues that crime in Rural areas is low, without consideration for the extremely disproportionate population density in those areas while stressing good points like trauma centers which benefit his argument.
Actually, it does directly address the lower population density with
The per capita rate of firearms deaths is far lower in rural areas, even though urban areas have the advantage of trauma centers within a few miles (at most) of the site of any firearms injury, a high density of hospitals and ambulances, as well as much higher police density to prevent shootings in the first place.
Kopel compares per capita rates of firearm related deaths.
Which ignores that these same cultural and socioeconomic variables will only stack onto the lethality of firearms. That is, if we were a disarmed nation of psychopaths, we'd be a lot less deadly than if we all had Glocks.
Has your friend considered that prisoners have little problem committing violent crimes in prison? How about the extremely low crime rate among CHL'ers, especially compared to the general population?
This of course negates the simple fact that private gun ownership and availability were at near zero at this point.
True enough for Japan, but not for the European nations. It was common for small caliber handguns to be carried by gentlemen. In Europe, it was common for gentlemen to go armed in public before guns were available. Your friend has no answer for this except to avoid the question.

Bud Helms

Well, I spent some time on a point-by-point rebuttal with cut'n'paste excerpts. Then I realized I how much I hate to read those very things (threads get loooonnng and repetitive). Then I read C.R. Sam's post ... erudite and concise, as usual.

MeekAndMild, well said.

Just this: "I return to my introduction point: these are merely my thoughts, my views on the matter. If no one else agrees, so be it. Theirs views will not change, and mine will remain similarly fixed. Thanks for reading."

Phooey.

HAWK-HKG11

He probably talks about the whole theory thing because he read the article and realized disarmament wouldn't work. All he really needs to get into his head is that even if disarmament did work it wouldn't reduce violent crime, and it would create a world none of us would want to live in. I think he's getting close to being converted.

Hutch

I particularly enjoyed the mental agility he shows in dealing with statistics, say basically: "Since I KNOW the anti-gunners are lying about the statistics, I suppose the pro-gun statistics are lies as well. I reckon we can't use statistics to support or refute our feelings." Kinda convenient, when you don't have to weigh evidence or facts.

Maybe he'll come around.

C.R.Sam

Common anti argument...
"Facts don't matter, this is the way it SHOULD be"

Some stones are better candidates for education.

Sam

Mikul

He is very confused. If he is very patient, and you had a lot of time, he could be made to realize what he already understands, but refuses to admit: Guns don't matter, the attitude of the people does.

None of it really matters. He fails to see the obvious. There are BAD PEOPLE out there who kill. Just as none of our arguments will convince your friend that guns save lives, neither will his theories or proposed laws suddenly make the murdering pscyhopaths who live among us suddenly stop killing us off.

Steve Smith

GENTLEMEN!!!

Please refer to the Five-Minute Handbook in the TFL Library!

http://www.thefiringline.com/Misc/library/RKBA_handbook.html

Cut and paste:

DON'T MESS WITH TRUE BELIEVERS. In the time you spend trying
to convert one hard core antigun person to our side, you could
have gone out and motivated and organized 20 people who already think like you do. Go with the flow. It's easier on your nerves, and much more effective. Personally, I have converted several anti-rights true believers, but never again! Lots of NRA members are not registered voters. A lot of gun owners aren't NRA members.
Even more folks have no idea of their elected officials' positions
on gun issues. Where is your time most effectively spent? Think
about this before you spend an hour writing a clever response
to a silly message you found somewhere on the internet.

Hawk, I know your friend is misdirected, but he is frankly not worth my time. Let him know that at least one Pro-Gun person would rather spend his free time teaching NRA certified pistol courses that prepare folks to carry a concealed firearm, would rather spend time getting new shooters out to matches to learn to shoot centerfire rifles accurately at 600 yards, and would rather sit at a small table at a gun show getting folks singed up with the NRA, than to spend one minute longer debating him.

Zundfolge

I do believe that the lack of guns in private hands will reduce violent crime. I do not agree with extreme anti-Gun advocates in that I do not believe that guns cause violence

well its clear this guy has absolutely zero understanding of logic when he so clearly contradicts himself within the space of two sentences.

He's an idiot, let him be ... just don't ever encourage him to vote or get active in politics (and maybe encourage him not to breed) and we'll all be fine :rolleyes:

Mute

In other words he's copping out. If it's his "belief" that having no guns means less crime, based on the evidence he's seen, then he's looking at the wrong evidence or he needs remedial reading classes.

History, and statistical evidence from past and present does not support his contention. While he can conveniently chalk up his ideas of total disarmament to a "belief", he does state that "EVIDENCE" leads him to conclude that less guns means less crime. If that is the case, state the evidence (source) and how he came to his conclusions. His inability or unwillingness to do so suggests he is either an ideological coward or his theories are just that. THEORIES. And ones that are likely full of holes and full of sh#$.

I bet the first time your friend gets mugged, he is at your door asking you to teach him how to use a firearm. I have had to pull a legally carried firearm twice to stop someone who wanted my hard earned money. One had a knife, the other a piece of pipe. I did not have to shoot either one. Once the saw my firearm they were too busy slipping on their own ****, running away.
I will protect myself and family, if he makes the choice not to protect his, that is his business.
I have since moved to a rural area and the reason there is so little crime is in large part due to the fact that nearly every household and every vehicle have a firearm in them. We don't shoot each other and most of the crooks know that their odds of getting away with a crime against a person here are slim to none.
Good luck to your friend. I hope he doesn't every have to learn the error of his ways the hard way.