C&R Rifles.....Why Is It?

cslinger

How come the M1 Carbine is not a C&R rifle. Hasn't it been 50 years since they were designed? How about a Garand.

Not a rifle question but don't want to start another thread, how about the fact that both East German and Russian Makarovs are C&R elligible but not the Bulgarian....huh? Shakes head and utters "I'm so confused."

I am new to this C&R thing, so just beat me with a stick if these are stupid questions.

Kharn

Any firearm that was made over 50 years ago (determined by checking serial number) is C&R.

Kharn

kptaylor

Some of the issues you raise have to do with date of manufacture. The Bulgarian Maks are newer production, so they are not C&R eligible. Same deal with newer production Garands or M1 carbine.

Actual manufacture date of greater than 50 years is C&R, in general.

Hkmp5sd

The original M1 Carbine and M1 Garand are both on the C&R list. C&R guns are all firearms made over 50 years ago or firearms that have been specifically added to the C&R list. This is how you find some versions of the same gun on the list and some not. This is because the versions listed were added because someone applied to ATF and proved they were collectible and ATF agreed.

cslinger

So if I understand correctly

We are not talking about the date of original design or first manufacturer but the actual build date of the individual rifle.

For example they made M1 carbines for a very long time. One with an early serial number might be C&R eligible because that particular gun was made 50 years or more ago. A newer gun will not be eligible because that particular gun may have only been made 42 years ago or something to that effect?

Am I grasping this?

Chris

cslinger

One more thing....

What about Frankenguns. Those firearms that do not have matching numbers. Using the M1 Carbine example. What if it has parts with completely different serial numbers ranging from 50 years old to 20 years old.

Are we just talking about the receiver?

Thanks again.
Sorry for all the stupid questions but wading through the legaleze gets tiring.

Chris

DMK

We are not talking about the date of original design or first manufacturer but the actual build date of the individual rifle.

To get technical, it's actually the date the reciever was serial numbered.

An interesting case is Finnish M/39 rifles. These are rebuilt on Russian 1891 recievers. Some have a date under the tang that indicates the reciever was made in the late 1800s, but the rifle may have another date stamped on top that indicates it was rebuilt in the 1940s. I think the iportant catch here is the Finns struck out the original Russian S/N and added a new one at the time of rebuild. This would make the receiver 1940s manufacture.

Borf

Or for the really funky, an original Model 94 Winchester in .30-30 from say 1895 is not even considered a firearm by the ATF. As far as the ATF is concerned you can sell them to schoolkids through the mail.

Local regs may differ...

jar

The 50 year rule is great but totally missunderstood by a lot of dealers. But what is exciting is that every single year for the next three decades, more and more really neat firearms will become C&R eligible. Just think of all of the really neat revolvers and automatics that came out between 1950 and 1980.

Gewehr98

Yup, that explains why Cslinger found a non-curio M1 Carbine.

I'm thinking it was either a more recent Universal carbine, or perhaps one of the newer Israeli repro variants.

Same goes for the "new" Garands, with their Lithgow, Springfield Inc., or CAI receivers. No C&R eligibility for them.

OkieCruffler

The one that confuses me is the SKS. Russian, Romanian, Yugo, Algerian, all C&R. Chinese, no way. I'm just still waiting for the CETME to come up.