c&r revolvers

JimmyR

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html#definition

ATF said:
Firearm curios or relics include firearms which have special value to collectors because they possess some qualities not ordinarily associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:
1.Have been manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof; or
2.Be certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; or
3.Derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or from the fact of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

welshgal2001

c&r

Thanks for your replys
the revolver i'm looking at is 47 years old and missing a couple of parts, its rusted too. Personally don't think it'll ever be fired "or even safe to fire"
That's why i was asking about c&r

James K

Member In Memoriam
Depending on the make and model, and what parts are missing, it may not be worth buying. I am not sure I see the connection to its C&R status.

Jim

SaxonPig

C&R means Curio and Relic. A Relic is anything 50 years old. A Curio is a gun that for some reason was granted C&R status before it turned 50. That's "the list" people often mistake as being all the guns that are C&R. Most are not on the list but are OK because of age.

Bear in mind that the ATF in its infinite wisdom has decreed that a modified gun loses C&R status.

Onward Allusion

I think the OP is referring to project guns that fall under C&R - i.e. no FFL transfer fees for C&R holders. Makes 'em slightly more economically viable.