C&R license holders

Jason Demond

I am thinking about getting one, I have thought about this for some time. Would getting one make me a target for the ATF? I really like older guns, and have bought a few through my local dealer. I really like the idea of buying at dealer cost and cutting out the middle man. Has any one ever had the ATF come into their house to look over there records and inspect their guns? Is it worth the trouble?

Rottweiler

Get one!! I've never even been called by the ATF. Even if you never buy a gun on it the savings to Brownells and Midway will cover the cost on your first order to either of them.

swabjocky

atf target

you have nothing to fear from atf. they are to busy attacking the bad guys to worried about us.as long as you tell the truth on your gun purchase you have nothing to worry about.

swab

zouave

Jason Demond,

You will not regret it! The BATF can look over your firearms and bound book once a year, if they want too. If called you can bring your collection to them, they don't have to come to your house.

I love my C&R, the only bad thing about it is that it is very addicting!:D

Rome

Join us!

I was shocked to read in a report printed in 1999 that only 17,500+/- C&R licenses had been issued in total! That is a terribly small number of licensed collectors. I realize that many collectors aren't licensed for some reason, but I'll tell you that having my C&R has opened the entire country to me and my collection of Semi-autos. I'm thrilled to have it. For instance, I recently purchased an SVT40 from Empire Arms. I emailed my order on Thursday, it was confirmed on Thursday. I received it on Monday afternoon in the BBT. I was astounded! Just like buying a book on Amazon. No other paperwork (other than logging it into my bound book).

When you get you license (it used to take 3 weeks....now more like 8 weeks), you copy the original 100 times and put the original, unsigned, away. Send signed copies to all the distributors and suppliers. You get on mailing and email lists and be able to order via credit card instantly once your license is lodged.

Go for it!

Rome

Don Gwinn

Staff Emeritus
I sent mine out yesterday. :) Gonna get me a Yugo Mauser and about 2,000 rds of ammo for cheap, then see what happens. I'm thinking of a CZ-52 after that--people seem to think 7.62x25 is a lot of fun and I want to try it.
I know FFL's have got to eat too, but it irritates me to be forced to pay a fee to have them receive guns. Not their faults, of course, but there you are.

Rome

C&R

Yes, FFLs do have to eat and I'm glad they're around. I'd hate to only rely on mail order or internet order for all my "gun" needs. It's good to have a local guy to help you out once and a while. But, that being said, they can't be all things to all people. When you get your C&R, you'll find a whole country at your beckon call. You'll be able to really "shop" for that CZ at three or four different sites to compare prices before you buy. And they may be at the four corners of the country. The point is that having a C&R makes you a savvy consumer. You'll still buy ammo and "modern" stuff from your local guy and he'll make his profit so you're not really affecting him very much if at all.

Good luck with your license. Don't forget to lodge it with the dealers!

Rome

carlosg

Go for it...!

Go for it!!! You will regret it when you go broke (but happy).
I wish I could do it, but NJ law will not allow me to.
Do it for the rest of us less fortunate.

Calamity Jane

Hubby and I have been considering a C&R license for quite a while. We especially like the old Mausers - hubby wants to build up four or five. :)

Are there any types of restrictions on alterations to a gun (i.e., rebarreling, restocking, etc.)?

sigmund

The main threat you face from BATF after getting a C&R is being buried alive with irrelevant mailings of FFL notices, bulletins, and updates.

Jason Demond

Don:
I went into my local gun shop the other day just to ogle the guns. In with the used guns was a lnib CZ52, I couldn’t believe my luck. The price was $119.00 with two mags and a holster. I have wanted one of them for months, so I had to buy it. It’s like a disease, I see something like that and can’t help it. I went in today and found a used Walther PP with no holster wear and it’s made in Germany, so I had to buy that to.
:D

Rome

Nix on the NICs

When I purchase a firearm in CT with my C&R, I toss my check along with a signed copy of my license to the clerk, he tosses me the weapon with my receipt. I walk out the door. It's as simple as that.

I may be wrong, but I think some states may still require some other paperwork for pistols but I'm not sure. All I know is that I don't go through any background checks at all. In addition, gun shows are a snap, too. For that matter, so is mail or phone ordering. No checks there, either.

The C&R is truly the "gold key" of the gun collector. It opens doors you didn't even know existed. If you're a collector, and you don't have your license, GET IT!

Rome

StarfuryZeta

I have to agree, get it. You'd be surprised at what you can get with one. Word of advise, make sure you hide all of the boxes before the wifey sees them, otherwise....:D