C&R Guns and a bump in the night?

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Ok a recent horsetrade got me thinking this question.

And its a silly one. :p

Something goes bump in the night and for what ever reason you only have one handgun available. Its a C&R gun and it won't reliably feed hollowpoints OR modern hollowpoints are NOT available for it.

What is it and what's in the magazine/cylinder?

A recent trade for a Luger got me thinking about this.

I have a variety of 115 gr. ammo (which is standard for the luger) is it possible to shoot heavier (124+) ammo in a luger? Or should I stick with winchester 115 standard velocity? (1155fps) If reliability is the first thing to consider is it best to use what its designed for?

Remember, old guns aren't +p rated so I don't want a super pressure load. The luger would indeed be a weapon of last resort. In fact I think I'd rather have my 1917 Colt .45 acp revolver over the fincky luger. And it makes me wonder.. when did hollow points become available to auto loaders? because it seems most old autos are designed for ball ammo only. Maybe I can get a pre- a1 1911. ;)

johnwill

I think the reason that many older guns don't handle HP ammo well is that a vast majority of them were originally developed for the military, and they don't shoot HP ammo as a rule.

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
It is the Star 1911-style 9mm (the one without the silly grip safety). It has a new recoil spring, and it is loaded with Federal Expanding Full Metal Jacket rounds from www.ammoman.com.

---
Give the guy a gun, he thinks he's superman. Give him two, he thinks he's God.

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
hmmm I forgot about that could federal efmj make the luger a viable pistol?? Tests should follow!

Gino

A CZ52 with hot milsurp ammo would be a pretty fierce defense gun!

I wouldn't have too much of a problem entrusting my life to my Mak. :)

My T33 wouldn't be that bad either, if the trigger was less than 100 pounds. :(

But I think I'll just leave the Nagant pistol in the safe. ;)

Tom B

The Germans had pretty good luck with the Luger and FMJ in two wars. I don't carry JHP in any of my guns. Fed EFMJ in 9mm and 40cal and FMJ 9x18 in my Mak. :cool:

KPS

A 1927 Sustema Colt with a polished feed ramp will reliably feed HP's.Wilson mags might add the the (feel safe factor).

ohen cepel

There are thousands, if not millions of people who passes from these "old weapons".

I wouldn't want to take some of them to a gun fight. However a Luger that feeds well would be fine for me, an older .45 wheel gun, or the .45 autos that people pay $1K for now which are still the same gun basically. Most situations are done in 3 rounds so hi-caps really doesn't matter much.

I really think we (americans) are caught up in the next, new ray gun and we often don't look at reality. Being shot is bad and unless you're smacked up on PCP it's going to stop you.

Herr Walther

A Walther P.38 AC41 loaded with 124gr S&B. I don't shoot that gun, but if I really needed it I could depend on it. Thousands of Germans did.

norielX

Keep an eye out for a $299 1911!!!

I was looking through my Shotgun News, when I saw a South American 1911 made under license from Colt! It is a C&R, and I was advertized for $299. I'm not sure if this is the Sistema .45 that Zorro is referring to. I need to pick one of these up!

Daryl Waldron

The S&W victory, Colt Model 1917, Remington Rand 1911A1, EG mak., Inglis HP and a few others that I have I would trust in a "bump in the night" situation. Like Gino i would leave the Nagant pistol in the safe.

BigG

I guess this begs the question of why back in the day so many people were whacked with an old S&W 32 revo or a Colt or Savage 32 Auto. Maybe we're building tougher bad guys now?

Webley Mk. 5, in .455 Webley. It could feed hollowpoints but that would be gilding the lilly. Ammo costs $38 for a box of 50 so don't spray and pray.

James K

Member In Memoriam
I would not recommend the Luger for any serious situation, regardless of ammunition. I have had them fail with the original matching magazines and WWII issue German ammunition.

I think I'll stick with my 1941 Colt M1911A1, and GI FMJ ammo.
No failures in I have no idea how many thousands of rounds.

Jim

jar

Tough question. First choice would be an old S&W N frame in 357 or 45acp. Can't beat them for reliability and they really do go boom not bump in the night.

dsk

I second Jim's choice. I'd sleep just as soundly with my Argentine contract Colt or 1943 M1911A1 loaded with 230gr. ball as I would anything else in my safe. The only reason why I prefer hollowpoints is for the reduced overpenetration.

denfoote

My Makarovs handle 90gr Federal Hi-Shok with ease.
My friend's P-38 shoots 135gr Federal PD with no problems.
Please, do not use the Luger as a PD weapon. They are fine range guns, but are way to un-reliable for defense work.:eek: