BYF 43 RC K98 Ammo/Range Report

Rockrivr1

Finally was able to acquire a nice BYF 43 Russian Capture K98 last weekend for a little under $400. It came with a period correct sling as well as the cleaning rod and front site hood. Though I believe the hood is a reproduction. Bore/rifling/crown are in good shape as well.

IMG_0673_zpskbhj2gqh.jpg

IMG_0672_zpsuuuforbz.jpg

IMG_0674_zpsefs42c5s.jpg

IMG_0676_zpsxtnuxrxc.jpg

Took her to the range on Tuesday to see how well she would group. I brought two different types of ammo. The bulk of it was 198gr PPU SP, which worked OK. I also had a box of Federal 170gr SP that my LGS had one box of that I bought. While the PPU was OK I was starting to think the K98 I had was just Minute of Manish. That is until I shot the Federal and the groups tightened up considerably.

These targets are at 100 yards shooting off the bench.

PPU
IMG_0700_zpslruslnm2.jpg

Federal
IMG_0702_zpssldbxcvu.jpg

The POI was considerably different so I had to adjust my aim for the Federal. The low left hits were at the beginning of the string. Once I figured out the aim point I was able to tighten the group much better.

Overall I do need to tweak the sites a little as she is hitting left so I'm compensating with Kentucky windage. Forgot my front site adjustment tool that I'll bring during my next outing.

A friend has some Yugo M75 that I'm going to try and see how it works.

JT-AR-MG42

Looks to be a very nice shooter and a heck of a buy at the same time.

I've looked at a lot of War 1 and 2 98s over the years.

Yours is the first Oberndorf I've seen with an 'overstamp' error (factory) model stamping.
I would have bought that one without hesitation.

JT

Rockrivr1

Yours is the first Oberndorf I've seen with an 'overstamp' error (factory) model stamping.
I would have bought that one without hesitation.

JT

Interesting. I wasn't sure what to make of the overstamp. Thought it might have been something the Russians did when they put their stamp on it.

Thanks for pointing it out.