Buying trends changing?

hickok45

I was wondering what changes you folks who own or work in gun shops are seeing in pistol buying trends due to the ammo and reloading supplies shortages.

I know that I myself was dragging out the 9mm Glocks more often as ammo and supplies were escalating in price; however, the lack of availability of anything related to small calibers is driving me back to my big bore stuff. Crazy world we're in these days.

Hickok45

NGIB

I don't know about the gun shops, but I've bought more .22s lately than anything else. Just ordered a Sig P220R in .22 this morning from Bud's...

OldCorp

I work p/t at a gun shop, and real trends are kinda hard to pick up on - everything is going out the door. I suppose anything in small, concealable autos (ammo-less .380's) are super-popular and remain on a waiting list. Even slightly larger .380's, like the Bersa in the <or>~$300 range go quickly.

AK's and AR's have slowed just a little bit, not much. The GSG .22 MP5 lookalikes are hot. Just got in about a dozen and a half- they'll be gone in ~10 days.

Ammo that used to go out a box or three at a time now goes out in cases, or in some instances, pallets.
A few years ago, a few hundred primers was a common sale. Now it's in 5k boxes. We are considering only selling the 1k boxes, instead of the hundred at a time thing. (People love, for some reason to LOOK at the primers and then fumble and spill them over a 15' area. Strange, though, they never are the ones to clean them all up..., just 'oops, sorry...')

Motownstan

I can't understand why a gun shop would sell cases and pallets to one person and not keep any for regular customers. Don't they know it's been reported some of these "customers" are seen at gun shows trying to gouge with the same ammo? Isn't it time to limit sales to say, 10 boxes or something?

mrclean77

In my county, I think the situation is just as diverse as the rest of the country

One shop says they have no Glocks, not sure when they will get them in - other shop(s) have plenty of 'em

One shop has like 2 or 3 ARs at a time and says they are going like hotcakes - another shop has them lining the walls

Ammo is what is worrying me - what I've read here & have been seeing has been at least you could get .22lr - even in bulk - we're now starting to run outta that, at least in bulk

I mean, it's one thing to run out of the larger calibers - I try to leave myself at least a box of SOMEthing for hd/sd, but it's purty bad when all the plinking stuff is getting snatched up as well

KingEdward

I do not own, nor work in gun shop. I do attend most every firearms show in TN and know (and do business) with a lot of the dealers. For the last 3 months, .380s and 9mm (full size and compact) are flying off the tables. Also, at the last two shows, there were a great many first time buyers and there were many older folks buying concealable weapons. Back in the fall shows, many people were browsing but not buying. Over the last 3 or 4 shows, that has changed tremendously. Less talk, more cash and get out the paperwork.