Buying some CAS style revolvers

Trooper Joe

Starting in October 2020, I started buying some reproduction cap and ball revolvers as well as some other Cowboy Action type guns.

One of my favorites is this Cimarron Lighting revolver (3 1/2" barrel) in 32-20 with an extra cylinder in .32 H&R Mag.

This gun is actually going to serve as an EDC for a while. To pay for this slight change in interest, I just sold 5 of my S&W Gen 3 guns. I will miss them, but these new reproduction revolvers are simply a ball to shoot and handle.

I have been posting in the Black Powder and CAS section of this forum also.

I do not plan on selling any of my S&W revolvers. Fortunately I don't have too many plastic/"no-character" guns that have hardly no resale value.

Just thought I would share this with you guys and gals.

Trooper Joe

MikeG

That's very nice. I have my Grandfather's Colt Army Special in .32-20, and a S&W model 16-4 in .32 Magnum with the 4" barrel. I may just have to get a Cimmaron like that, it'll fit right in.

MikeG

Trooper Joe

32-20 love affair

My love affair with the 32-20 round started in 1966. I was a new Trooper at the Flint post and my friend converted a Winchester 32-20 SRC into a .357/.38 lever gun. I carried this gun on patrol for several years until another friend of mine talked me out of it. (The department rules were a lot looser in those days).

Sort of got out of guns until I retired and found out about all the lever guns due to cowboy action shooting. I remember that about 1968, I wrote letters to Marlin and Winchester that they should consider making a .357 lever gun for law enforcement since it could handle all of our .38 and .357 wheel gun rounds. I never got a return letter about my suggestion.

Anyway, getting back to the 32-20. About 2007 I spotted a 32-20 Miroku special addition lever gun at Cabela's in Wisconsin. They shipped it to Cabela's in Dundee, Michigan. They called me when it came in and I traveled across the state to their store.

Now picture this, they greeted me, ushered me into the main office of the gun library, and "presented me" my new 32-20 Winchester. (How cool is that?)

Fast forward to present year or so. I found a like new condition Browning B53 in 32-20. (Now I have two 32-20 rifles along with about 6 50 round boxes of 32-20 ammo I found at a going out of business sale at a local gun dealer.)

It should be noted that at this time, I am also into about a 6 year admiration of the .32 S&W Long round. (I accumulated a 1914 S&W hand eject 32 S&W Long, a 1950 pre model 31 "I" frame 5 shot, a 1969 S&W model 31, 4" barrel J frame, and a Ruger 101 327 Magnum.)

So, when I found out about this dual cylinder Cimarron Lightning with the 32-20 (stamped on the barrel) chambering and that it was shipped with a 2nd cylinder in .32 H&R Magnum, I was hooked.

I know I am rambling but, one last tidbit. I discovered Colorado Custom Cartridges in the fall of 2019. He loaded me three boxes of 32-20 ammo, with Sierra 90gr JHP bullets, with rated at 2300 FPS out of a rifle (rifle only rounds). He uses new Starline brass (but will reload your brass I think). I haven't even shot this yet but I certainly intend to. I don't believe I would use this rifle only round in my new Uberti, but I am sure it would handle it. The very rare Ruger that was marketed with both a 32-20 and 32 H&R Mag cylinders, would probably handle it OK.

Thanks for your interest in this gang. Guess I am not quite ready to give up my Glock 19, but I am sure the bad guys would give me a little slack if they took the time to look at my Uberti :eek: .

Trooper Joe

Last edited:

bobn

another 32 20 cimarron jr p fan here . i went for the slightly longer barrel. it is more accurate with that cylinder versus the 32 h r one.
....i shoot acme lipstick bullets in mine but did have to size them down with a lee tool.
... the 32 20 rifle to go with is a marlin cl. bob

44caliberkid

I'm still waiting on a good deal for an original 1873 rifle in 32-20, meanwhile, I have a bolt action Savage Sporter in 32-20. And a Colt Officers model revolver in 32-20. The original 32 Magnum.