Buying scope for a gloss finished. 243 rifle

Deerhunter264

I am looing for a good scopefor my browning xbolt medallion .243 which is a gloss finish. I was wondering should i get a gloss finished scope?? or matte?? And i would also like to know what a good scope is. I am leaning towards bushnell or leupold. I want adjustable magnification and any numer-around 15 and a 40mm:eek:http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/popup.asp?cat_id=035&type_id=200
popup.asp

model70fan

Put a gloss scope on it, make it match the barrel. They just look silly when you have different finishes on scope and barrel:D +1 on the leupold, good scopes.
Question though- what is the rifle going to be used for? Do you even need a 15X scope when something like a 3-9 would work just as well but be cheaper?

model70fan

Distances? IMO 9X is really about all you NEED for big-game animals out to 400+ yards, sometimes it's handy to have a little more magnification for varmints. Go with higher if that suits you, it never hurts to have extra:D

buymore

Can you kill an ELK humanely with a .243? I know guys are killing whitetails and Mulies, but I haven't heard of any ELK kills myself yet? I think teh Bushnell Elite scopes are every bit as good as Leupold for less money. I recently got one fo the newer Bushnell Scopechief models. It was made by Bausch & Lomb. It's a 3.5-10x42. It has the quick focus eyepiece. Fully/multicoated and boy is it loud and clear! It was a "mounted, removed, never shot" scope, got it on Ebay for a whopping $56 shipped, in the box with warranty cards in all. I wish I would have bought the second one the seller had that was NEW IN THE BOX. It sold for $10 more. Bushnell does make some very good scopes. Most people assume they are a retail junk seller only. I did an online registration and I have a lifetiem warranty on it! Check out the Elite models before discounting them. I would watch out for counterfits though. There appear to be alot of scopes listed on Ebay these days, made in China with expensive name brands on them that aren't really made by that company. I was able to verify the one I got was genuine a Bushnell/(Bausch & Lomb) scope prior to bidding on it. Good luck

taylorce1

well i will be doing alot of deer hunting some varmint hutning around farms and maybe just maybe elk hunting

Nothing wrong with your choice of rifle for deer and varmint hunting but please think long and hard before using a .243 Win for elk. While the .243 will meet the minimum requirements for elk in Colorado it isn't what I would consider an elk rifle. Invest in .270, .308, or .30-06 if elk is in your future. Put a 2-7 or 3-9 power scope on it as well when you get your elk rifle.

While a scope with an upper range above 10X is nice for varmint shooting it is rarely necessary for deer and elk. I fixed my post to get the scope in there I was thinking of, too many hours at work and I can't think straight anymore.