Buying one of the Lipsey, Ruger, Bisley flat top 44 Specials...

anyone one else out there have one ??? feel free to post pics...

I had room for one more single action, & I like the 44 Special cartridge, & don't have a Bisley in my collection yet, so I thought I better get one before they are gone until the next limited run... they come with 4-5/8" barrels & 5.5" the one I ordered is the 4-5/8 barrel model pictured below

I've got many single actions, & this is my 1st Bisley, & in fact I've never shot one... I hope I don't dislike shooting it too much ;)

I'm also looking at something different for grips... the gun seems dark, & I'm thinking something lighter colored ( like the factory grips are ) but maybe an aged Ivory look or ???

suggestions for grips welcome...

this is just a stock pic, as mine is en-route from Lipsey's over the holidays...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bisley Ruger.jpg
    Bisley Ruger.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 482
I'm not a huge fan of stag, but like it most, with either a lot of bark, or with only a few lines...

on this gun, a mostly white set with a few lines or blotches of bark would look pretty nice... thanks for the suggestions...

Ozzieman

I am also looking for a set for my 44 special Blackhawk (I will have a Bisley soon!!!). Here’s a couple that I have been looking at.
Altamont Grips are my hands down favorite. I have a set on an old Sauer single action. The set I ordered are dark (My choise), the wood is beautiful and the fit was very good. They have held up well and had a lot of beating.

http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/ruger/#Ruger_newvaquero.php

http://www.hogueinc.com/store/categories/bisley-grip-frame/579

https://eaglegrips.com/48-ruger-single-action-revolver-grips

http://grips4guns.com/handgun_grips/Vaquero_Bisley.html

I've gotten all the interesting grips on both E-Bay & Gun Broker on a watch list...

thanks for the other links & replies...

& Merry Christmas everyone :)

rclark

Who doesn't have one!!!! ;) . For me these .44Specials were a must have. Mine are both 5 1/2" barrels. One regular plow handle and the other a Bisley grip frame. Oh, and then there is the Sheriff .44Specal too.... You'll enjoy it!!!! I know I do. Note that I tried to get Bisley buffalo grips for mine and they didn't fit.... So mine still has the factory grips. My other revolvers get Bearpaw grips.

Crunchy Frog

I have the identical revolver. A friend who is a big fan of the large frame Ruger Bisleys had purchased a 5.5 inch .44 Special. That was the first I knew that this revolver existed. I found a 4 5/8 inch version at a local gun shop and snapped it up.

Same cylinder frame as my New Vaqueros which is "just right" for .44 Special in my opinion. I purchased my Vaqs from Longhunter Supply with action work which spoiled me. As soon as I bought the Bisley I sent it out for an action job.

The Bisley has a feel that is more like a double action revolver. My friend swears by the Bisley for heavy loads. So far I've fed my flattop handloads that duplicate Skeeter Skelton's pet load, and some very mild cowboy action loads using a 200 grain bullet.

I wouldn't mind finding some aftermarket grips that are a little thinner than the stock panels.

VonFatman

I purchased my FT Special when Lipsey's came out with them.

Mine was sent to Mr. Munden for an action job (not for speed drawing). I sports a nice set of Bearpaw Missouri Black Walnut stocks that I truly love.

Here is a pic when I got the stocks...I had two of the .44s at the time.

medium800.jpg

Jbar4Ranch

In February of last year, I located a consecutively numbered pair of 4 5/8" stainless .44 spl Vaqueros at a shop in Texas. I called them up and inquired about them and they said, "We can't get rid of them. Everyone who wants a .44 wants a .44 magnum." So, long story short, I picked them up for $1040, shipped.

Ten days later, I located another one in Tucson and picked it up for $518, shipped. The s/n is 433 numbers from the other two, and there were only 503 made in this configuration.
All three were new in box. :)

mmb713

Those 44 Special Vaqueros are a handloader's dream. They can handle everything from cowboy action loads all the way up to the stoutest of Elmer Keith's loads and beg for more. The New Vaquero and the flat top Bisley's and Blackhawks, not so much.

Crunchy Frog

No, the .44 Specials are New Vaqueros although Ruger omitted the word "New" from the frame. Some conjecture that since the "original" Vaquero was never offered in .44 Special (it was available in .44 Magnum), there would be no confusion.

Jbar4Ranch

Yep, the Lipsey's .44 special Vaqueros are New Vaquero frames w/o the New stamped on them. The original Vaqueros are larger framed .44 magnums, but can shoot .44 specials, of course.

oldscot3

I have a Lipsey's 44 with the 5 1/2" barrel and love it. I use it as a gp carry around at the ranch; the 357 size frame feels just right to me. I load 240 gr sp speers with a new cannelure rolled in about 1/8" lower. I read Brian Pearce's articles and worked up a load that doesn't push it as far as he did, but still performs at what some describe as "spagnum"loads.

I mostly just carry those loads now, and plink with mild, lead special loads.

My only gripe is that my aging eyes don't like the plain, black ramp front sight in a lot of lighting conditions. It currently has a thin strip of white medical tape on it and that helps but I'm thinking about a permanent modification, I just can't decide on exactly what.

Last edited:

Colt46

The .44 Spl is a labor of love

Any kind of serious performance(especially in a single action) and you have to handload-even cast- your own.

I'm interested in Lipsey's, short run .45 convertible in the mid sized frame. Hard to find.

Wreck-n-Crew

They can handle everything from cowboy action loads all the way up to the stoutest of Elmer Keith's loads and beg for more. The New Vaquero and the flat top Bisley's and Blackhawks, not so much.
New Blackhawks not included? Just trying to clarify which Blackhawk generation you are referring to.

rclark

New Blackhawks not included?
The medium frame .44Special BH will handle the standard .44Special loads up to the Keith Load. I believe that is what he is refering to. The Keith load (240g-260g bullet at about 1200fps) puts the .44Special on the bottom 'edge' of 'real' .44Mag loads. I personally like to feed mine a diet of Skeeter loads (7.5g of Unique under 240g SWC) for around 1000fps.

GeauxTide

Bear Paw Grips for mine

Got Spalted Maple for my Bisley 5.5" 44spl, 45 Colt, and 41 Magnum. They're on my SBH and 22 Bisley, too.

While you're at it, add a Belt Mountain Base Pin and Rough Country Rear Sight.