Buying for others.

Ed Dixon

A new gun is being bought as a gift for a close relative. If you knew just what was wanted, would you make the purchase and have the gun in your name or fall back on cash or a gift certificate that could be earmarked for the item? Is there any serious downside to making the purchase if everyone involved is over 21 and could have legally made the purchase anyway? No strawman stuff. No divorces or family feuds anticipated. Just "registered" when purchased to the gift giver rather than the ultimate recipient. What say you?

Hkmp5sd

There is nothing wrong with purchasing a firearm as a gift for someone. I have done so in the past and have no qualms about it. It it's legal for the person to own the firearm, go for it.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I do not see any problems either; so long as you
maintain a copy of the paperwork, which would
include a handwritten transfer receipt with both
of your signature's on it. I keep records of all my
firearms transactions; just in case the S**T
hits the fan!:D :cool: :) Or what I call, C.Y.O.A.
(cover your own a$$).

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Zak Smith

In short, as long as they aren't a prohibited person, and if they are under 18, you have written permission from their guardian, it's fine. I expect they have to reside in the same state as you, too.

From the ATF Firearms FAQ:

(B15) May a parent or guardian purchase firearms or ammunition as a gift for a juvenile (less than 18 years of age)?

Yes. However, possession of handguns by juveniles (less than 18 years of age) is generally unlawful. Juveniles may only receive and possess handguns with the written permission of a parent or guardian for limited purposes, e. g., employment, ranching, farming, target practice or hunting. [18 U. S. C. 922( x)]

From ATF General Information
15. "STRAW PURCHASES"
[...]

This article does not purport to cover sales to persons who purchase firearms with the intent of making gifts of such firearms to other persons. In instances such as this, the person making the purchase is indeed the true purchaser. There is no straw purchaser in these instances. The use of gift certificates would also not fall within the category of straw purchases. The person redeeming the gift certificate would be the actual purchaser of the firearm and would be properly reflected as such in the dealer's records.

Rebeldon

There's no law against buying a firearm and giving it to somebody as a gift.

Transporting it across the state line, in some states, and giving it as a gift is another issue.