Buying Ammo -- Info provided

cwok

I'm curious about the load data provided by companies that either sell ammo using once-fired brass or who load it into StarLine brass.

I reload for my .45 ACP, but I've got a 10MM that I have not started reloading for YET.

I found the only ammo I could buy from local gun shops was Personal Defence Type ammo ($$$ for high performance bullet shapes) that I didn't need for initial range practice.
Admission: It takes ME anywhere from 300 to an awful lot of rounds fired from a new firearm before I figure my learning curve is flattening out.
At that point I'm willing to consider expensive ammo.

To get to the point:
I've purchased ammo from Blue Star, from Georgia Arms, and from DoubleTap.
I've been happy with all three but the info provided varied.
In all cases I was using 10mm 180 grain bullets.

BlueStar provided the ammo in baggies with a tag that told me what bullet weight used, what powder (Unique) was used, and how many grains.
This was not on their Website but provided provided as 'tag' inside each baggie.

Georgia Arms also provided the ammo in baggies with tags -- theirs listed bullet weight and that it was loaded to XXXX fps.
That was not on their Website but provided on the Invoice and the tags on each baggie.

DoubleTap provided the info on their Website and printed the info on their ammo boxes -- they were the highest priced of the three.

So Two used bullet weight and FPS; and One used Bullet Weight/Powder (Unique) and grains.

Is this typical ?

Does anyone provide CUPS/PSI ?

I'm not dissatisfied in any way with the approaches used; just curious.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Does anyone provide CUPS/PSI ?

PSI wouldn't do you any good anyway. Their gun is not your gun. All you can be sure of is that the ammo is loaded so as to create safe conditions in any modern, good condition firearm that is within SAAMI specifications.

If you are looking to duplicate their loads, the thing to do is chronograph the rounds through your gun, choose a good powder that should be able to recreate those velocities, start at least 10% below the max listed charges and work your way up while watching for pressure signs.

Just be sure that the powder that you choose can safely create the velocity that you are after. "Velocity chasing" at unknown charge levels is VERY dangerous.

If you are really curious as to the powder that they use, you can disassemble one of the rounds, weigh the powder , take a good clear picture of it and post the info in the reloading forum. Someone who knows what the powders look like and has access to an internal ballistics program will (probably) be able to tell you what powder it is or the "over the counter" closest option.

briandg

In this litigious society, it takes real stones to supply exactly what is in that round. For one thing, they are giving you tacit approval to use that load as your own, substituting whatever the heck you want. I've got other reasons that I would refuse to provide even a hint of what I used to create commercial reloads. Best reason of all is that I have NO reason at all to provide it to you, and YES, it can sneak up and bite me in the keister if I do.

I'd give bullet weight and test velocities. Not a bit more.