Buying a used gun....

Mastrogiacomo

A local shop has a S&W 3913 for sale. I've always wanted one but I've been looking all morning for mags, and all the main stores I've been looking at, including S&W, and don't have any in stock. I could go on Ebay but I'm not in the mood to bid and be out bid trying to buy them. I just want to purchase them without the hassle but it doesn't look like there's any stores online carrying them.

Is it worth it to buy a used gun with hard to find mags or am I better off buying a Walther PPS instead?

Laura

TXAZ

Look for the mags on eBay with "buy it now". There are several right now. Realize you are limited to California law there, mags limited to 10 rounds, which may not be an issue in MA.
But the PPS is pretty nice and well supported.

BUT FIRST, TRY BOTH BEFORE YOU BUY!!! Which fells and handles better for YOU? Buy that one.

Also, gunbroker.com has some, as do other gun auction sites.

Last edited:

carguychris

FWIW the 3913, 3914, 3953, 3954, 908, and 908S all take the same mags, so try searching for all of the above. OEM 39x4 mags were blued rather than stainless, but they function the same. Also, the OEM mags came in three flavors- 7rd with a flush fit metal floorplate, 8rd with a slightly projecting flat plastic floorplate, and 8rd with a plastic pinky rest. The 7rd mags were not made for very long, so most mags in circulation are 8rd.

Additionally, full size 39-series mags will work, they'll just project below the grip. In fact, the only S&W metal frame single stack 9mm mags that will NOT work are CS9 mags.

Last edited:

Mastrogiacomo

Absolutely everyone was out. I was actually surprised....not even KY Imports had anything. I've tried every single site and no one is carrying them in stock. I just don't know if it makes sense to drop $500 for a gun that's this hard to find mags for. I may opt for a Walther PPS or Springfield XDS compact....

carguychris

Mastrogiacomo said:
I was thinking that about the price. It's exactly what a new PPS would cost....
IMHO it's not terribly out of line IF the gun is LNIB, particularly if it's a 3913LS LadySmith or 3913NL with the slant-cut frame. These guns are quite sought-after and prices have been rising steadily since it became clear that S&W is not bringing back the standard-production 3rd-gen metal-frame autos anytime soon.

That said, the price IS high for a run-of-the-mill 3913 in average-ish condition, particularly with only one mag. (The OP doesn't say exactly how many it comes with, just that he/she wants spares. :))

Mastrogiacomo

It comes with two mags, but obviously I want to be able to find more. I haven't seen it in person to verify how well it looks....