Buying a used 870P, what to look for and fair price?

shappy0869

I am looking for an 870 police model to build up as a home defense/utility gun. A new model 4899 (wood furniture, blued, 5-shot...basic) is about $400.

However, I am open to a used one, but I am not sure how to determine if the gun is in good mechanical shape. Is their anything a layperson can do to determine if the guts are ok. Obviously I can work the action, but what else should I be looking for. I am not worried about the furniture or finish as I will be upgrading both.

Plus, what would be a fair price for a used 870 police model?

Dfariswheel

Since it's really, really HARD to damage an 870P Police gun, about all you need to do is check functions and for corrosion or other damage.

1. Look the gun over for dented, bent, squashed out-of-round barrels. Look inside the barrel for rust and pitting. Note that is hard to tell what's in there since the barrel is often dirty and leaded up.

2. If the dealer will let you or will do it for you, field strip the gun and look inside for rust, broken, burred, missing parts.
Look for broken/missing ejector assembly in the left receiver wall.
Look for broken/chipped/rusted/fouled extractor in the bolt.
If you buy a gun that turns out to have a rusty magazine tube, the spring can be easily replaced with a new one. The tube can be scrubbed out, so some rust isn't too bad.

3. Look for broken/missing/damaged external parts like sights, muzzle dents, bent/cracked trigger group, etc.

4. Do the following function tests:
a. Operate the gun and "feel" if the action is rough or gritty.
This could just be dirt or?????

b. With the gun cocked, apply the safety, pull the trigger.
The hammer should not drop.
Snap safety OFF, the hammer should not drop.

c. Pull and HOLD the trigger as you briskly operate the action. The hammer should stay cocked.
Release the trigger and pull it. The hammer should drop.
Operate the action briskly, the hammer should stay cocked.
Pull the trigger the hammer should drop.

d. Operate the action as you watch the shell lifter. The lifter should lift all the way up, than snap down freely.

e. If you can test fire the gun. load two shells in the gun. Slowly operate the gun. One shell should feed into the receiver and be chambered.
When the gun is operated again, the second shell should feed.

f. Load with two more shells. Repeat the above test, only operate the gun as quickly as possible. (Don't FIRE the gun quickly, just operate the pump handle quickly).

Dfariswheel

That's totally a personal choice.
The only advantages the longer barrel has are, it'll take a longer magazine extension that will hold one more round than an 18" barrel, and if it has rifle sights, it'll have a longer sight radius.

The shorter barrel is more maneuverable in tight places..... by 2 inches.

Logs

I bought one that was a bit rough for $169 www.kyimports.com Mossberg has a new tactical shotgun 535 that uses a AR folding stock and has a shell holder. I saw them new for around $340, nice looking guns.

Terminus

KY Imports

Logs,

A few questions for you re: that $169.00 870:

Was that a police trade in?
By "rough", do you mean stock dents, dings and cosmetic wear on the steel?

I'm in the market for an inexpensive 870 project. Thanks.

Logs

Yes there were dings in the stock and it looked like the finish melted from being in a case in a cars trunk. Blueing was a little warn also, but the gun shoots fine. I sanded down the stock and refinished it. Still need to touch up the barrel, but for a self defense gun don't really care what it looks like as long as it works.

Gun on top, after I refinished it....

DSC03017.jpg

DSC03016.jpg