Buying a Tokarev.

PATH

I buying a Tokarev. I've heard some good things about it. I figured I'd come here to find out more. I'd appreciate any and all info as well as opinions and experiences concerning this pistol. Thank You!

Joe Demko

I had a Chinese made copy of the Tokagypt variant in 9mm; they were imported a few years back and you still see them at gunshows. DON'T BUY ONE! It was the worst gun I ever owned. A Lorcin or Jennings would be a better choice. On the other hand, I understand the eastern European ones in the original 7.62 Tokarev are solid guns, if somewhat less convenient to operate than more modern western designs (or even the Makarov that replaced it).

Gino

Someone just imported a bunch of Polish Tokarevs recently. They were being sold by SOG, but they sold out pretty fast. Supposedly, there is another shipment that will be arriving in the next few months.

RON in PA

I've had experience with a post-war Soviet and a Polish Tok. They are both very reliable but the workmanship on the Pole is much better. When I got my Pole I had the chance to handle about 4 and took the one with the best trigger, there seems to be a lot of variability from one to another.
Both had the BATF mandated safety and the conversion done by the Poles was much better in location and quality of construction. The gun is more comfortable to shoot than a CZ-52.