Buying A Python

DeepEastKilla

Hey guys, I was in the market for a new duty pistol/carry piece and came across this one. Id always heard great things about pythons and I think I may go with this one. I really like the sights and Im thinking i could put a rail under the lug with the pre-tapped holes. I was also looking around to see if I could get a clamp on muzzle break to vent the hot gasses and help with the intense recoil of the .38 special loads ill be carrying.

Anyway, here it is. Should I pull the trigger on this beautiful work of art? I cant get over the price! IT SEEMS LIKE A STEAL! I mean it already has the upgrades Id want including the pachmyr grips that replace those cheap Colt factory stocks.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=247275941

Last edited:

Technosavant

If the price is low, it's because it isn't really a collector's piece. It's a shooter, with the finish wear and the sighting rib installed, it looks like it was used as a competition gun.

But then, given the OP's words, I'm assuming this is all in jest.

357 Python

If you want a Python for duty / carry use don't go with one that has been modified for competition, go with a regular unmodified Python with a 4 inch barrel. Remember that Pythons do break down from time to time and finding someone who really knows how to work on them is getting difficult. If you want a revolver for heavy duty (police/security type) use seriously look into the S&W 586 or 686. They are the nearly identical size wise and will fit many of the same holsters. I carried a 6 inch Colt Python for about 3 years when I started in private security and switched over to a 4 inch S&W model 28-2 for 2 years then to a 4 inch 686. I carried the 686 for most of the rest of my 15 years in the field. The 686 was the best duty revolver I carried.

Last edited:

Winchester_73

If you want a revolver for heavy duty (police/security type) use seriously look into the S&W 596 or 686. They are the nearly identical size wise and will fit many of the same holsters.

I agree except I'm pretty sure you mean 586* and 686

pendennis

Shafter wrote:
I can't imagine what 38 special loads would be intense for a Python

It's probably not so much the intensity, as it is the number of cycles. That will wear a revolver faster than the impact of a .357 load.

DeepEastKilla wrote:
...I mean it already has the upgrades Id want including the pachmyr grips that replace those cheap Colt factory stocks

I wouldn't call Colt's original walnut stocks cheap, by any stretch. Especially the 2nd generation walnuts. I have a set of those on my 1973 Python, and they're as comfortable as any stocks as I've ever used.

FlyFish

Hey, uh, guys - the OP was being sarcastic, as in just kidding.

(But seriously, what a sad fate for a beautiful gun).

Jim Watson

Way back in the dark ages some of us actually shot our Pythons and even modified them to suit the task.
Before S&W brought out the L frame, several of us here bought Pythons to shoot PPC with because of the full lug barrel and smooth trigger pull obtainable from Don Tedford at the Colt Custom Shop.

This one that caused such hilarity here was taken one step further with a Bomar rib.

One of the shooters back in the 1970s went still another step and put on a 1" Douglas bull barrel and an Aristocrat rib. That gun is languishing on the shelf at the local pawn shop because the owner passed away and a relative pawned and did not redeem the gun. If I still shot PPC, I would buy it. If it were cheap, I would buy it and look for a Colt barrel. But neither of those is the case and I guess it will sit there.

DeepEastKilla

*DING, DING, DING*

FlyFish got it.

Im surprised no one picked up on the heavy sarcasm, but I guess that can be hard to do with text.