buying a new rifle online...but in state...

ARDogman

So if I locate my next new rifle($1049) online, but it's in state...do I order it online and shipped to ffl or just go to the shop that's selling it online? Online, I show no shipping cost or sales tax...if I go straight to store, I pay sales tax...thoughts? And p.s., I don't buy into the blue thinking of supporting the local small town gun shop...I'm worried about my bottom line only.

lovemyllama

Go pick it up if it is near enough to you. The distance you are willing to drive is your main limiting factor. Also, it can sometimes take a couple of weeks for you to get it if it has to be shipped to your ffl. If it is too far to drive, order it online and have it shipped. Really, it all comes down to your personal preference.

NWCP

I think you'll find most in state FFLs are required to collect in state sales tax. Just my observation here, but I think you'll end up paying sales tax either way. He has to show state sales tax on his books at the end of the year which means he has to get it from someone... being the buyer of said rifle.

M.O.A.

just go and get it u never know what else u might find at the new too u gun store that has the gun u want
like scope, rings, bases, ammo u know

taylorce1

If it is a retail store in your State you will have to pay state sales tax as a minimum. Unless it is a really good deal you would probably be better off to just go pick it up, unless it will cost you more than $50-60 in fuel. I find shipping cost to average in the $25-30 and transfer fees cost around $25-30 as well.

PetahW

FWIW, under Federal Law (GCA-68), it's perfectly legal for ANYONE, whether they are an FFL holder (dealer) or not, to ship/mail a firearm to another resident of the same state WITHOUT going through an FFL on either end.

It's up to you, whether or not the shipping ($25 +/-) is more or less than the fuel cost to pick it up.

If the seller's an FFL in your state, and they have to ship instate, they will most likely be required to collect any sales tax, just as if you walked in the door - or (guess what ?) your state's Tax Division will invoice & maybe punitively fine the FFL, if/when they find out the FFL didn't.

taylorce1

FWIW, under Federal Law (GCA-68), it's perfectly legal for ANYONE, whether they are an FFL holder (dealer) or not, to ship/mail a firearm to another resident of the same state WITHOUT going through an FFL on either end.

I doubt any FFL holder is going to ship a fire arm to a Non-FFL legal or not without the proper paperwork filled out to take the firearm off of their books. I'm sure the ATF would love to see that during a review of the books. I'll bet the gun store woulnd't be in business long.