Buying a new air rifle

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
While I am no pro, I am fond of quality. I also try to do business with companies who manufacture in nations known for both quality workmanship and fair employment practices. For air rifles I would only buy guns made in the USA, or Spain and other European countries. I tend to stay away from turkish as well since they don't tend to be quite as ethical for workers and inconsistent quality at times... So in your case, of the 2 you mention I go with the rws, being german and from a reputable company. Have you also looked at the .22 offerings of Gamo?
Brent

hunter33

I'm trying to somewhat stay under 250. So beeman is kinda out of the question. Hogdog pacifically what gamo air rifle where you referring to? I'm a big fan of gamo and own one of their rifles.

NWCP

I use a RWS 350 Magnum for small game and varmint with great success. It's my second RWS. I sold my Model 34 in order to get the 350. Better range and power. JMHO

pbrktrt

Hunter, before you give up on the .177 try some of the Predator pellets. i think you'll be amazed at the results on critters.

Skans

I'm going to be the "odd duck" here making a recomendation that you look at a particular chinese made air-rifle: XISICO XS-B21/22 price: $114.95http://bestairgun.stores.yahoo.net/xsb21.html

I own this rifle in .22. It is a side-cocker (not top-break or underleaver). It is essentially a clone of the RWS 48...with some neat differences. I almost purchased the much more expensive RWS 48, until I found out that it had a plastic trigger. I knew about the XS-B21 and did quite a bit of research into the differences between these two guns. I discovered that the XS-B21 had a milled, all steel, adjustable trigger-fire control parts.

So, I decided that the price was right and I'd give this Chinese Airgun a try, so I purchased it a few years ago. I couldn't have been more pleased with the quaility of this air rifle. It fires .22 pellets at 900 fps. It is a heavy rifle. The barrel is solid steel and about as thick as something you would find on an Ak-47. I believe the rifle weighs about 10lbs. The receiver and all parts are made of steel. The piston appears to be hard-chromed. The wood stock is some from some kind of tropical wood - nice looking and finished "ok", but don't expect a fine turkish walnut stock by any means.

The metal was finished in a very nice looking black phosphate coating.

I took the rifle completely apart. To do this, I fabricated a spring compressor using a large hack-sawed C-Clamp mounted on a 2x4 piece of wood. I was very impressed with the quality of construction. I was not impressed with the metalic dust that was left behind (I was forewarned about this, thus why I dissasembled the rifle when I got it). I thoroughly cleaned and lubed the rifle before reassembling it.

The trigger mechanism is better than what you will find on the RWS - it is a smooth, solid steel two state trigger system. Not what you would expect from a gun in this price range at all! Seals and springs are available for thfrom dealers for this rifle on the internet if you ever need to replace them. The iron sites on the rifle are good quality and accurate. There is a rail so that a scope can be mounted to the rifle, but I don't have one on mine.

The cocking mechanism requires some strength - NOT FOR KIDS. I have been shooting this rifle for several years now and only had one (user error) problem. I let a friend borrow it and he didn't know that there was a claw-type release that needed to be pressed in to retract the cocking handle if it's not cocked all the way. He cranked down on the cocking handle and bent the rod attached to a part that moved the piston. I didn't realize how easy it is to just order the broken rod (subsequently discovered that it was a $10 item), so I fabricated one using some bar-stock that I got from an ACE hardware store and a $6.00 threading die. Works perfectly.

I absolutely love this air-rifle. If the RWS had come with an all milled steel trigger instead of plastic, I probably would have bought the RWS. Having owned this XS-B21, I wouldn't trade it for the RWS 48 (if I couldn't buy another one)

thebookdoc

I just got a B21 and already had a RWS 48. The B21 is every bit as good, and has the extendable cocking lever. Just another case where the 'cheap chinese' rifles make an excellent showing. I have been shooting into 6x6x6 inch balsa blocks that I make for years, and nothing has ever gone through. The B21 did. I haven't chronied, but will. Have to agree that the B21 is a great rifle if you like power... I'm still on the fence as to whether that power will affect accuracy...

thebookdoc

All this talk about 'you get what you pay for' and 'go with the more expensive' rifle is just flat out not accurate. I had an RWS350 and thought it was not at all worth the price when compared to my TF89 .22, TF89 .177, and TF87 .22. I got rid of the 350. If you want a great deal on a rifle, get a TF89 (compasseco.com is the source). The only European rifle that I have had that outdoes the Chinese rifles is a Cometa Fusion Star. Facts are: Chinese guns used to be cheap immitations...now they are changing the marketplace.

mapsjanhere

My favorite is the RWS 48, it feels like a rifle. Can't comment on the Chinese copy's quality, but the website you linked as a refurbished 48 for 199.

Dino.

I have a Crosman Custom Shop 2400 .22
It's extremely accurate and packs plenty of punch.
The only drawback is that it's C02 and the power drops in colder temperatures.
It's a great summer gun though! :)

DSC03031.jpg