Buying a handgun from another individual.

Dirty_Harry

I was always under the impression that at the age of 18, you could buy a handgun from another individual. I was just enlightened by another person that it has to be a gift...and no money can be passed????? If that is the case I have broken the law...twice!!:eek::confused:

Help gentleman, I had read laws that I could own one and carry one. I am confused.

Alleykat

In Indiana, you can acquire a concealed weapons permit @ 18, as well as buy from an individual, and there's no "gift" involved. Whoever told you differently doesn't know enough to be giving anybody advice. You can't buy from an FFL until you're 21, but that's the workings of the idiotic U.S. Congress.

Dirty_Harry

Thats what I thought, I was trying to buy a handgun from someone on this forum, (no names mentioned) in Indiana and was treated rather rudely. I was worried for a second, but this is what I thought all along.

homefires

I had a SW kit gun .22, given to me by may father! Got stopped by the police and it was not a problem, I was 16. At 18 I don't think there would be any problems. Purchase and ownership are two different animals. Loyer I are not but cant find any thing on the net stopping ownership , just purchase.

Eddit: If you do something Stupid with it , they will go after the provider!!!

blume357

The problem may be it the purchase has to be through an FFL,

as in the seller has to ship it from another state.

Also, the seller may just be hesitant to sell a gun, face to face, to an 18 year old. I know you will find this 'wrong' but there are many of us who would have a problem with this. Nothing against you personally, it's just that we don't know you and on top of that, many of us still remember being 18......

A seller has the right to back off/ out of a deal at any time.

I just had a guy in my town do that.... we were all set up to do the deal and he changed his mind at the last minute and decided not to sell the gun. Not a thing I can do or say.... it's his right. Only gripe I have is he did the exact same thing about a year ago... and twice now he's wasted my time. Won't happen again.

Indiana is wide-open when it comes to private sales. Unless it's an interstate transaction there is no problem with a straight-up cash for firearm private sale.

That guy sounds like a jailhouse lawyer, I would not trust him.

Dirty_Harry

Thank you guys, appreciate your input. I turn 21 in less than 3 months, I am just going to wait and buy up a storm that day. :D