Butler Creek Carbon fiber barrel??

muleshoe

I just got my new Bulter Creek Carbon fiber barrel yesterday. Slapped it on and started shootin. Within just a few shots I had it fairly close to zero at 60 yards. I should first say that this barrel is replacing a factory stainless bull barrel that shoots 1/2" to 3/4" groups consistantly at that same distance. The best I could do with the fiber barrel is 1 1/2" groups, that sucks!! Now I really like how light weight it is and the balance is great, but I'm not willing to give up that much accuracy just to have a little lighter rifle. I'm very disappointed in the barrel and will not have it for long if it doesn't get any better than that. I'm sure someone else has one of these barrels out there, does it shoot better than this??

------------------
bullet placement is gun control

Spirex288

muleshoe,
I had the Butler Creek plain blued bull barrel on my 10/22. At 50 yards I was hitting less than 1/2 inch all the time, wind or no wind. I *think* weight plays a factor on the accuracy. Try another barrel. If you are willing to spend some money, get a Hogue brand (the people who make the grips) bull barrel. The barrels come with a test target showing it's accuracy. If you want light weight by very accurate, Magnum Research makes a compensated carbon fiber barrel also. BUT, it's very expensive. I think it's $200+.
If you do decide to keep the barrel, just make sure you don't get any solvents on it like brake cleaner. It smears the finish.

[This message has been edited by Spirex288 (edited May 23, 2000).]

muleshoe

Ron:
I've shot Winchester Wildcats and Federal Lightnings with the same results, 1 1/2" at best groups. I've shot both these through the factory barrel and I'm able to hold groups easily less than half that size. I realize this is not your high dollar match ammo, but it's shoots great through the factory barrel.

Spirex:
There's no way I'm gonna fork out another $200 for another barrel. The factory barrel will do that well. I'm shooting from a good rest and I'm very confident that I was holding up my end of the deal. I was just wondering if anyone else has had bad experiences with these barrels, if it's common, or I just got a lemon.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control