But, is it accurate?

Powderman

To all:

It is safe to say that we as shooters definitely have our preferences when it comes to cartridges, and what we expect for them.

We have cartridges that we use for hunting purposes (example, .30-30, .35 Remington, etc.) cartridges that we use for accuracy, both competition and otherwise (.308, .223, 6.5's, etc.) and some that we use for--shall we say--serious social purposes that fit into both categories.

One of these cartridges is plentiful and relatively cheap; it has enough power to get the job done at short to intermediate ranges, is not too heavy, and has some of the most prolific rifles in the world chambered for it.

You've probably guessed that I'm talking about the 7.62x39.

We all know the properties of the cartridge. As a matter of fact, I'm willing to say that a lot of us probably have a good rifle or carbine (SKS, AK clone) chambered for the caliber and a few hundred rounds on hand for the "lean times".

Here's my question--has anyone seriously tested the accuracy of the cartridge? I mean, perhaps in a good bolt action rifle, or accurized semi-auto? What will this cartridge do, and what kind of accuracy is it capable of?

Of course, all comments are welcome.

jman841

I think the limiting factor of the accuracy of the round in most cases i the platform it is fired out of. With that being said, there are some nice bolt rifle out there chambered in 7.62 x 39 now. CZ being one of them having reports of pretty good accuracy. The limiting factors to the round is its trajectory and its lack of match ammunition. Unless you are hand loading it is difficult to find well made ammo in that caliber. Plus, its trajectory would make a leprechaun think there was gold at the end of the flight path.

Citizen Carrier

I'm not sure on this, but I believe American loaded 7.62x39 uses .308 diameter bullets, while European/Asian loads utilize a .311 diameter bullet.

May not be the exact numbers, but I think there is a difference.

Scorch

I have seen groups fired out of Ruger 77 rifle, and Interarms Mini-Mausers (Zastava short action rifles) that were sub-MOA. CZ also makes a sporter bolt action in 7.52X39 which I imagine is fairly accurate. The round is the parent of the 22 Russian (5.45X39) that is the basis for the PPC cartridges.

Palmetto-Pride

In my opinion the flatter the trajectory the more accurate a round will be at various ranges, but I think most rounds will give pretty good accuracy at any one given range. Another words lets say you have your bolt action 7.62x39 zeroed at 200yds if it has consistency and puts the bullet as close as possible to the same place every time then it could be as accurate as any other cartridge zeroed at 200yds. Its when you shoot at different yards that will make it seem less accurate over another cartridge.