Bushnell Scope Problem

PKAY

I just bought a used Winchester Model 94 Centennial Model scoped with a Bushnell 3X9 scope from my favorite pawn shop. The gun appears to be in about 98% condition save for a small stock ding which I can fix. The scope is clear and reticles sharp. However, the 3X9 adjusting ring on the sighting end is VERY stiff and will hardly turn/adjust at all. Any ideas on why this might be and how I might loosen it up. I'm not too keen on using a penetrating oil for fear of it leaking or outgassing into the optics. Thanks for any comments you may have.

Bud1

Could the focus be cranked down too tight? If so, it might be impeding on the power adjustment ring.

PKAY

I picked up the rifle yesterday. The focus adjustment works just fine, not cranked down too tight. However, the power adjustment ring just in front of the rear "bell" on the scope housing is frozen between 5 and 7. I can't budge it. It doesn't appear damaged, dented, or dinged at all - just frozen, won't rotate at all. Any ideas, guys?

PKAY

Absolom - I'll check it when I get home. You may be right and I just haven't looked it over close enough.

PKAY

You were right on the money! Someone had set the power and tightened the set screw at that point which would not allow for further adjustment either up or down. I loosened the set screw, moved the power ring all the way back to 3 and tightened the set screw. It now functions smoothly and works very well. Thanks for the tip! BTW, the set screw is tiny with a Philips head. It looks like an assembly screw but it's not. Taking it all the way out, one can see a long smooth shank below the threaded portion (about 3/8") which acts as the set post.