Bushnell Elite vs Nikon Monarch

sholling

This is a follow up to an earlier thread. I've narrowed my choices for my Tikka T3 Super Varmint in .223. The Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 w/BDC or the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 Tactical. The purpose is primarily target work to 300yds (mostly 200yds), perhaps a bit more if I fined a range long enough. But 500+ yard SHTF is something in the back of my mind. As is very small game at waaaaay out there in an emergency. And hey I may someday move some place with PDs... It could happen.

The Monarch has interchangeable turrets but that's all Nikon could tell me. They have no clue what the other turrets do but at least one of them can be reset to zero. The optics should be clear and bright (it's a Nikon) and I like the BDC reticle. Lifetime warranty. Does anybody know what the interchangeable turrets are for?

The Bushnell turrets can be reset to zero (a huge plus) and I like the reticle. Bushnell gives and one year money back satisfaction warranty, plus lifetime warranty. The reassurance of one year refund or exchange is very tempting at this price point - a huge plus.

Both seem to have great reputations and great reviews on Midway. And both have 1/4 MOA cross hairs, and the price is a high-buck wash. I started off leaning Nikon and love the BDC, but the Bushnell warranty is very-very tempting.

Photos and reticles illustrations courtesy Midway
Nikon Monarch 6-24x50 w/BDC
Nikon.jpg

Bushnell 4200 Tactical 6-24x50
Bushnell.jpg

Last edited:

surg_res

Choosing scopes is one of the hardest things to do, I currently have a similar problem. For your shooting I'd lean towards the scope with reset-zero over the BDC. Its easier to make a log of clicks for different loads at different ranges than to remember which two BDC bubbles to shoot between.

sholling

Thank you. It's looking like both have resettable turret zeros. It's really down to the idea that I'll probably like the Nikon more, but if it sucks I'm stuck with it. The Bushnell I can return for a year no questions asked. I'm so confused. :eek:

Horseman

Elite. Elite. I have owned more than one of each. Here's my take on it. The Elite's are made in Japan at arguably one of the finest scope factories in the world. The Bausch & Lombs(Elites rebadged) that were made there are still being used today on Benchrest rigs worth several thousand dollars. I cannot say enough good about the Elite 4200's optical clarity and the extra hydrophobic coating.

All the reticles I've seen on the newly designed Monarch's leave me scratching my head. Especially on the higher magnification scopes I've noticed they changed many over to a very heavy or thick reticle. The BDC has donuts in it that are actually the size of real donuts! It is also widely accepted that Nikon did not enhance the optics of the new Monarch. They did add a bigger bulker eyepiece and switch manufacture to the Philipines. The exterior finish seems to have a cheaper texture to my eye as well.

IMO the Elite is a classier, higher quality scope with better optics, reticles, and prices. I see a fair number of Elites on the high dollar bench guns at my range, but hardly ever a Monarch. The Elite is a slightly better scope in every way you can measure a scope.

I forgot to mention that my Elites outperform the Monarchs in the box test too.

CPTMurdoc30

I have an elite 4200 6-24x40mm I prefer the 40mm obj over the 50mm obj. My elite put my Leupold to shame in the brightness and clairty catagory. I am thinking of selling my Leupold to buy the buehnell.

Either are good scopes that will provide you with years of good service. I would pick the one that you like the best. I would not take either one only because of the afore mentioned 50mm obj and all them dots and circles. I would rather have just plain old cross hairs.

Good luck.

thinkingman

The 4200's have an impeccable reputation, but for paper, the reticle seems too thick for me.
I like the idea of the rain coating.
I have a Monarch that I bought smokin cheap, not a refurb, as a closeout before the new 4X line came out.
I will put it up against any Leupold I've seen for clarity and brightness.
Also does not have that BDC reticle.
I have no use for that.
I love Nikon high end glass.
I bought some Nikon Premier LX binoculars that made me sell my Kahles.
They're that good.
I bought the entire distributor inventory and gave them to friends and family.
Sold a few pairs to cover my trouble and the people that got them ask me if I have more.:p

UniversalFrost

WEll, I have the monarch in question, but I also love the elite 4200's (don't have this exact model of 4200 though).

Personally, I shoot mostly 3200's or Monarch UCC's and opt for the 3200 on my hunting rigs.

For long range I would go with either the monarch or the 4200. Actually if you can say your cash a little longer I would say get a Zeiss or a S&B.

If you can't save any longer get the elite. The nikon has a little to be desired on the light gathering at dawn or dusk. If this is not an issue for you then just toss a coin :p Seiously you need to look at each scope and see which "feels better" when you look down it. Some folks can't stand the mil-dot and some have issues with the BDC. Also, eye relief may be an issue for you, so experiment. Go to a gun shop that has these or similiar and try them out. Best would be if they have a rifle stock with a scope jig so you can actually put the scope on a stock and see how it "fits" you.

JOE

CPTMurdoc30

I'm just curious why you prefer 40mm over 50mm? Is it overall height?

It is that and in a 1" tube that extra 10mm really dose not add anymore light that I have seen. I love seeing people shooting 50mm obj where they only have the tip of their chin touching the stock then they are asking why they can not hit the side of an aircraft carrier at 100 yards. I just mounted a scope tonight on a 22lr rife I have I had to use tall rings on it now I need to find something to add some height to the stock so I can get a better cheek weld. Plus the closer you have the center line of the scope to the center line of the barrel the more accurate it is supposed to be (In theory).

If you really want some light gathering then get the Zeiss 6-24x72mm. Now that is a big objective lens. Not sure how you would mount that as it is huge. That is almost 3" in Dia (2.834") that is nuts just plane nuts.
http://www.zeiss.com/c1256bcf0020be5f/Contents-Frame/ec215ec620626f1e852571d700377d7e

sholling

CPTMurdoc30,

Ok that's what I thought and it makes a lot of sense. I don't think it'll be a problem, and FYI the Bushnell is a 30mm tube. I have both 1" and 30mm rings up the wazoo so I'm fine there and this scope is actually replacing a defective mid-priced 6-24x50 with a 30mm tube. My Tikka came with an adjustable comb and with it almost all the way down I was getting a near ideal cheek weld. If I kick it just a hair higher I suspect It'll be perfect. Anyway both are out of stock for weeks to come.

Thanks again!

Photo courtesy Beretta USA
Tikka_SuperVarmint.jpg

BTW, I just remembered the Bushnell free jacket promotion. It's a pretty nice jacket.

Horseman

I wonder how old that photo is. It looks like a Burris Signature old model with the light collector. As far as I know Burris hasn't made a scope with a light collector for 5 years or more.

Stiofan

Well sholling ol' pal, I have a Monarch (3x9x40) on my SIG SHR .270 and I couldn't be happier with it. Of course I also have Nikon Monarch 10x42 binocs, and Nikon 8x21 compact binocs.

I choose the Nikon originally for the light transmisson, they are very good in that regard.

I'd say you're gonna get praise for both of them. All I can add is that I'm happy with mine.

Have fun choosing!

sholling

Howdy Stiofan. Thanks for the advice. I'm going to chance the Bushnell. I like the return policy. I'll mail the broken scope back to Midway tomorrow for a $300 credit and place an order. That will cut some of the pain out of the purchase.

Thanks everyone I'll let you know how it works out.

blutob

I would surely choose the Bushnell 4200, but are you sure it has a 30mm tube? In the picture the tube looks large but on the Bushnell website it does not indicate that it is 30mm. The 6500 series specifically states that they are 30mm, but as far as I can see the 4200 are 1". You may want to double check.

blutob

Sorry, my bad. Ignore the previous post. A number of vendors do in fact indicate that the bushnell has a 30mm tube. (I'm surprised that the bushnell website does not!). This further makes the bushnell the clear choice over the nikon.

mikejonestkd

you will be very pleased with the 4200, it is a great scope for the money and will last a lifetime. I have yet to have any problems with any of my 3200 or 4200 scopes, and I have a dozen or so of them....

btw...unless they have changed recently..like in the past month or so....all 4200's are 1" tubes...

The new 6500 series are 30mm..

azn505

if your thinking about the elite might wonna try and find a browing scope comparable to 3200's well i guess you could say bushnell made them