bushmaster carbon 15

rickyjames

does anyone have any experience with the bushmaster carbon 15 rifles? i'm told that the upper and lower receiver are not metal but plastic like so many handguns are today. i've looked for reviews but the few i have found have sounded more like advertisments, all seem to be positive towards these plastic receivers. are they accurate, does heat affect them, epected longevity and other issuess? anyone have any input? thanks.

Longdayjake

I have heard that the uppers wear out very quickly. The lowers are fine though. This is all second hand knowledge though so take it for what its worth.

Que

I picked one up in a shop the other day and it was so light I could only chuckle, set it back down, and say "Nah". But, who knows? It would be a joy to carry over an extended period.

KROIL

Its not carbon fiber - but its very light -Kel-Tech SU-16. A lotta good words out there about them.

Quentin2

My buddy's has had one for almost two years and likes it. The times I've been out with him it's always functioned perfectly. Plenty accurate for iron sights too. It's over a pound lighter than my AR yet does everything well. My biggest worry is how durable over the long haul but so far there's no signs of excessive wear.

One thing I like, other than the receivers, the rest of the parts are standard AR, you can upgrade the trigger, stocks, etc pretty much the same as any AR. I can fire the C15 upper on my lower too but my upper fits tight on his C15 lower, probably just as well, it might be too heavy for the lower.

I have to say it impresses me, keeps up right along with my AR and spits out brass nicely in a pile at an angle of about 4:30. Not picky about ammo either.

demigod

I got to check out the Carbon 15 a few years back. It was the biggest piece of junk gun I've ever touched.

I went to seat a mag and the mag body blew right past the mag catch and up into the upper receiver.

I'd even recommend a bottom of the barrel Olympic Arms over the carbon junk.:barf:

thesheepdog

I've held a carbon upper. The guy who owns it said he has won some tournaments with it. As far as how long the carbon fiber will hold up, it all depends. Depending on the quality of the carbon fiber used-and the method of bonding the carbon fibers together-greatly affects the performance of the weapon.

Carbon fiber has it's purposes. For example; The F-35 JSF's frame is made entirely of carbon fiber. Carbon has a higher strength to weight ratio than steel by a long shot. Carbon is very wear resistant-saw blades for cutting metal and high-speed grinder disks use carbon fiber. Carbon is very heat resistant. Last i looked, it burns at around 10,000 degrees. CF is also brittle is the bonding process is cheap.

I would say go with Carbin upper, if that's what you want. In the long run, i don't know how well a carbon upper will hold up compared to 7075 aluminum or carbon steel, but, it's worth a shot.

I don't mind polymer or carbon fiber on my guns, i have a polymer shotgun and an XD, so, whatever floats your boat.