Bushmaster 308

Darkangel

My local gun shop just got in a Bushmaster 308. It was sitting in their rack for a total of 23 minutes before some clown with a high limit credit card bought it on the spot. I didn't even get a chance to look at it.
So anybody here have one? Does it shoot well with Mil surp ammo? how about the competition stuff?
thanks for any response.
DA

eviltravis

bushy 308.

I'd like to see one of those critters too. As of yet there haven't been any sightings here in my local gunstores.

Bushwhacker

Saw one at the gunshow this last weekend price tag on it was a whopping $1800. !!! :eek: Think I'll wait a year or two and see what happens......price wise.

BusGunner007

After reading that review --- I'm already starting to get that itchy feeling that comes around before I decide to get a new rifle...uh-oh. :eek:

Rebeldon

I saw one, and I saw the target the guy was shooting at at 100-yards. He got a 1" group using the peep sight. I would be willing to sell two of my favorite guns to get one of those boogers.

I have one in my safe. Did the Thunder Ranch Carbine II with it two weeks ago.

Impressions:
- My long awaited Eotech sight died on morning 1. Chalk that up to "Interesting concept, not ready for prime time".

- The Bushy trigger is outstanding. Came in far too light for my combat tastes, but easily adjustable. Crisp and manageable.

- The rifle takes FAL mags. I'm certain you all know that, but it's worth repeating....it takes FAL mags.

- This is a battle rifle in every sense of the word....including the fact that it's a heavy piece....8lbs 6oz unloaded with the Eotech. That's heavy.

- Accuracy was more than adequate with Black Hills Match ammo....I did not bench rest it. However my head shots at 100 yds were where I called them.

- The ambi bolt lock/release is non-standard as compared to the AR, but (I think) an improvement.

- The one problem that I had was major, though easily fixed: the gas block moved after two days, rendering it single shot only. Turns out these are locked down with two set screws as opposed to a pin. We reset and lock-tighted and it never hung up thru the remainder of the course. I've brought this to Bushmaster's attention and wouldn't be surprised if we see a change. Meantime, mine will be subjected to some minor surgery to pin the block.

- Other than the problem above, it never hiccupped in 1300 rounds of full power .308 and was never detail cleaned thruout the course.

Overall impressions: Solid and sturdy, though heavy. Recoil negligible. Good accuracy. Bad design of the Gas block.

Did I mention that my long awaited Eotech sight died on morning 1? I should mention that.
Rich

nssa4914

Please tell me that for that price you're not simply paying for the .308 cal :barf:

Don't get me wrong, I prefer .308 to .223 but not for that much more change :(

So what if I have to put 2 rounds in the perp compared to 1 ;)

Beav

Aimsurplus has them listed for ~$14XX. Thats not bad compared to an AR10 considering what you would save on mags.

Denny Hansen

Staff Emeritus
I currently have one in-house to test for an upcoming issue of S.W.A.T. I'll test it with iron sights, a Leupold Mark 4 MR/T and a Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T. Ammo used will be Black Hills 175-gr. match which has shot sub-MOA, ten-shot groups out of H-S Precision's 2000 HTR which was recently adopted by the FBI (article also forthcoming ;)).

Denny

M700

Rich:

Nice review....thanks for sharing. Did you try the rifle with various FAL mags or just the one it came with? Is it metric only, or will inch pattern mags work as well?

I look forward to Denny's SWAT article as well. :cool:

M700-
I'm 98% certain they advertise it as accepting both. I grabbed a handful from my stores and never checked to see. They all worked. Never bothered with theirs, unless I mixed it in and it's a pre-ban 20 rounder.

Quartus-
Oh, you heard about the Eotech Life Expectancy of one cup of coffee, too, huh? ;) I'll never doubt Pat Rogers' word again.
Rich