Bunny Fart .45-70

chewie146

Unique and .45-70. Until now, I'd never thought they'd go in the same sentence, let alone in the same gun. 11 grains of Unique is too much fun behind a Dardas 350 RNFP cast at .459. They were good to 300, though I had to hold off a bit for the wind. At that distance it sounded like someone threw a rock at the gong with an underhand lob, but it hit the target. I never knew a .45-70 could be this fun.

TXGunNut

Nothing wrong with that. I normally load BP equivalent loads in 45-70, BP in .45-90. I haven't swung as far as bunny flatulence but I've tried the rhino-rollers and didn't enjoy them.

steveno

I used 18 grains of Unique and a Remington 300 grain hp in a Ruger #1S. it was good for 1,450 fps , groups around 1.5 at 100 yards and it was fun to shoot.

totaldla

7grs of Clays behind a 500gr cast is interesting. Does 750fps from my Guide Gun. Not much noise and the bullet looks like an American airlines flight departing.

hornetguy

ok... now I'm disillusioned...

I've been led to believe that the 45-70 is worthless unless you're launching a 500gr bullet at at least 1800fps... :confused:

bunny fart, indeed... :p

steveno

when I bought my Ruger #1S in 45-70 the first loads were some of Elmer's memorial load with the 405 grain bullet. a few people thought it was fun to shoot one round but nobody though it was enough fun for more than one. I made the mistake of loading 60 rounds and ended up shooting about 50 rounds on my own. it was miserable to say the least. the 45-70 didn't get it's reputation based on high velocity and sure doesn't need high velocity now.

I should add that a few years later I bought the Marlin Guide Gun with the porting and tried a few more of Elmer's loads and they felt worse in the Marlin than the Ruger. I think part of the reason for that was the stock design. I also learned that I didn't near as many rounds

Last edited:

chewie146

I too started with magnum loads, and quickly realized that I didn't need a magnum. 1500 fps is plenty for a 350 grainer for any thing around here, and 1100 is plenty for most of what I do with it. I'd like to see what it's like a little farther away.