Bump in the night--which handgun?

Greg Bell

Here is the situation: you are sleeping when you hear somebody breaking into your house. For some reason, all of your handguns are sitting on a table next to your bed--which do you grab? (no ifles/shotguns/subguns....)

I have a nice selection of handguns but the winner of this contest is easy: Sig 229 with hi-cap full of gold dot 357 Sig rounds. This gun is totally reliable (no malfunctions--not even the kind most people excuse away when they say thier guns are reliable). .357 Sig replicates .357 magnum balistics--hard to argue with that. Excellent saftey--DA /SA trigger is heavy enough to prevent accidents, smooth enough to keep the gun accurate. Nite sights--nothing special, have em' on all my guns. The 229 is my ultimate "bet your ass" pistol.

GHB

DarkStar

Beretta 92 Elite. I've fired this weapon extensively and am perfectly comfortable with it. The last thing I want to worry about in a situation such as you have set out is the firearm... safety, trigger, etc so being intimately familiar with the weapon is the most important aspect, more so than the weapon.

Any of my Beretta 9mm's will do for the function/operation is identical, but the Elite is my favorite.

Darryl

MrPink

Well, my nightstand gun (the one in the GunVault - all of your guns are secured, right??) is an HK USP357 loaded with Hi-Caps, nightsights and a UTL. The UTL and the 1911 safety system along with DA trigger make this my "in the middle of the night" gun. Very reliable, accurate enough, integrated lighting system, reasonable cost, great mag capacity.

alp-257

I have choosen, for that situation, two hanguns with low velocity rounds: a .357 revolver with 148 grains wadcutter rounds (950 ft/sec) and a 9mm pistol with 147 grains (subsonic). I consider that loud noise and flash are not good patners during a "sleeped" shootout inside the house. I prefer to see and check what and where I´m hitting.

voodoo

HK Tactical with UTL, loaded with Hydra-Shoks. For added firepower, my wife will be covering me with her Hydra-Shok loaded Glock! :D

Drundel

I have roommates I have to worry about, so I keep USPF 40 with hi-caps and +2 with 155 quik-shoks. I also keep 180 SXT for travel, and then for some reason if i would need more power, I can grap the 686 6" with gold dots.

But in reality I would dive in my bath tub with cell phone and listen for my roommates AK-47 and G19 to be going off since he is closer to the outside door.

:D

------------------
Brad Brown

http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/3334/

Texas A&M University
Proud member of the Fighting Class of '00

"Beware the fury of a patient man"
John Dryd

mussi

Quite a number of night-time burglaries and home invasions ended with
one or more .32 ACP bullets in the body of the perp. Little noise,
little recoil, stout double-action trigger so night blindness,
deafness and accidental shootings are all reduced. If one aims well
enough, a head shot will usually end the burglary, but not your
troubles.

Else, a few COM hits with 9mm are suspected to stop a burglar fast.
Although we have all the choices in guns, most Swiss that decide to
buy a handgun for home defense only get a 9mm, if not less.

longeyes

Glock 30, Trijicon night sights, 10 rounds of Federal 230g Hydra-Shoks. Backup: Colt Lawman Mk III .357 loaded with six .38 Specials (hollow-points).

loknload

My Glock 27 :D

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

Cat

Either my 3" S&W Model 66 or 4" S&W Model 19.
Neil Casper

[This message has been edited by Cat (edited November 16, 2000).]

Bob C

Much like Cat, I also have a 3" 66. The alternate, however, is a twenty-five years old Security Six. The Ruger is close by the bed, loaded with .38 +P's. The S&W is in another place, with Triton .357's.

RWK

My .357 magnum Ruger revolver (KGP-141) loaded with 158 grain HydraShok. Utterly reliable, very accurate, and six .357 mag HydraShoks should be more than adequate.