Bummer!

Tatsumi67

As posted yesterday I got my first handgun [10th gun in my collection] a brand new Ruger MKIII Government Target Bull Barrel.I took it to the range today and put about 300 cci minimags downrange with no failures. But there was some play in the sights both front and rear, and the accuracy was disappointing. It was vaguely high and to the left and then randomly on the other side of the paper which is odd because having shot the same model before it was extremely accurate.

I think I just need to adjust the sights but when I go home and clean it the rear sight FALLS OFF out of the dovetail. I take it back to the gunsmith and its fixed free of charge, but I'm still concerned that a new gun could could do that.
I understand sights coming out of dovetail mounts is a common occurrence, but I feel annoyed by this. Does this mean that all the shooting today was invalid because the sights were failing?

gb6491

Does this mean that all the shooting today was invalid because the sights were failing?
Yes,you will most likely need to re-zero your sights. There is a set screw on the Ruger rear adjustable sight that helps hold it securely in the dovetail, a little blue Loctite on it's threads will help keep the sight locked in place (put some Loctite on the front sight screw as well).
FWIW, it's a good idea to check the tightness of all the screws on a firearm when doing routine maintenance (IE; cleaning) on them.
Regards,
Greg

rsxr22

yes mine came loose one day as well when i was shooting and was wondering why the heck i couldnt hit anything i aimed at lol

HighExpert

You could always dump the factory sights and put a Red Dot on it. Then you could worry about that coming loose...not usually a problem if you put it on right.

pilpens

Need to re-sight. I understand that sights moving is annoying but it can easily be fix. I hope the next range trip goes better. Once sights are set tight, I would expect the pistol to shoot well.

I have a similar issue on a MKII with Volquartzen comp. With low strength loctite, the comp screw (front sight screw) would still loosen after approx 1500 rounds.
Also, similar issue on one of my Browning Buckmarks, rear sight base screw loosens. Low strength loctite slows it down but it still go loose.
My other MKII and Buckmark -- no issues.

For your application, I think low strength loctite would be OK.

Last edited:

blume357

If the sights continue to get loose, then you have a problem..

the only problem so far is somebody down the line either didn't tighten the rear sight screw or somebody else loosened it up....

and you wasted a little bit of 10/22 ammo.

I did that once with a rifle.... it was shooting great and then the rounds started going all over the place.... reached up to adjust the scope and the dern thing fell off the rifle... duh!

put some lock tight on the screw.