Bullseye

Jeff H

All of the more popular pistol powders like 231, H-38, Unique and a few others are constantly sold out in my area but plenty of Bullseye was on the shelf so I was able to get decent supply of Bullseye at a only slightly unreasonable price.

I've done some research on Bullseye and I know it is a very fast powder, are there any limitations I should be aware of when reloading 9mm, 38spec, 45ACP loads?

No. It's a good general purpose pistol powder. 5 grains under a 230 grain RN FMJ bullet was one of the old Frankford Arsenal match loads, and it works today to mimic military hardball. It's been used in the other chamberings you mention for about a century. Bullseye is compact enough that it is possible to fit double-charges into cases, so you have to be careful about that.

Some classic loads:

.38 Special 148 grain LHBWC or LDEWC (seated flush with case mouth):
2.7 grains Bullseye

.45 ACP 185 grain JSWC (forward edge of bullet bearing surface 0.020" out of case neck:
4.2 grains

.45 ACP 200 grain LSWC (H&G #68 pattern) (same as above seating description):
3.8 grains

.45 ACP 230 grain RN FMJ (seated to 1.270" COL):
5.0 grains

I've never loaded 9mm myself, but with the lighter round nose FMJ's (112 grains, 115 grains) seated to maximum cartridge length, you'll find the same 5 grain load of Bullseye approximates a military ball load. Bullets seated shorter, even if they are the same weight, may be unsafe because deeper seating raises pressure. The quicker a powder, the more that happens, so start with 4 grains and work up.

Last edited:

lomaxanderson

...stick with posted data and under or at max loads and you should be fine...I use Be for all the rounds you listed without a problem...lots of 45 and 38...

Dragon55

I use it for .40 under 135gr to 200gr boolits.... at 2/3's max listed in Lee.

So far no issues with over 2000 rds

aerod1

Bullseye is a great economical powder for the calibers mentioned.:)
As Unclenick said, watch out for "double charges"!!!:(

margiesex

Great stuff...

Been using Bullseye for years and years. Great stuff.

You'll love it! Currently I'm using 4.9 grains to push a 230 JHP in my .45.

God bless and good shooting.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!

BIGR

Bullseye is fast burning and does a great job, but be very careful not to double or triple charge any of your cases. 9MM or other calibers will have a small amount in the bottom of the case. Don't know how much a 9mm or .38 case could hold, but it would be plenty to blow a gun up in your hands if you put too much powder in one....:eek:

velocette

By gosh, Uncle Nick sure did hit the high spots with his "classic loads" using Bullseye powder.
The loads he listed work in my guns well enough to get me to Master classification in NRA Bullseye competition. (thats when I discovered that the competition at that level, REALLY knew how to shoot.)

Roger

isanchez2008

Bullseye has served me well. The low charge weight makes it very economical in those cartridges plus 40 S&W. I like it for my 40 S&W, 4.5gr pushing a 180gr rainier rnfp at around 920 fps. Good practice round. I recently loaded some .38spl for the first time. 125gr Montana gold JHPs. My manual said to begin it at 4.5grs of Bullseye and DNR(Do Not Reduce). It was listed as a +p load. Shot well with snappy recoil. :D

bluetopper

Bullseye has thrusted more pistol lead downrange than any other powder in history.
It's the benchmark for pistol powder.........period.

dahermit

Bullseye is an excellent powder for target and plinking loads...that is its best application. For defense, hunting, or any application that requires warm loads, there are better powders. Nevertheless, for the above mentioned application, it is great.

PCJim

As others have said, it can be doublecharged. Especially in 9mm.

I purposely do so when calibrating my 550's powder throw, throwing 2 loads into a case before dumping the powder on the scale. (10 throws / 10 = avg throw).

Emerson

My absolute favorite loads are with Bullseye.

45 ACP - 200 gr SWC - 4.0 grains
.357 Mag - 158 gr SWC - 3.0 grains
.38 Special - 148 gr WC - 2.8 grains