Bullpup Unlimited - 870

SR420

1_25_08_11_7_20_15.gif

1_25_09_11_10_25_52.jpeg

2lse8me.jpg

Crosshair

Hmmmm, might make some interesting competition to the Kel-Tec. Never fired either this unit or the KSG but let me try and go over the pro's and con's from as how I see it as an outside observer.

BU-870
Pro:
Uses the proven 870 as the base action.
Replacement parts are readily available.
Single tube feed system proven and reliable
Replacement barrels/mag extensions readily available. Easy to make as long or as short as you like. (Within the design and NFA regulations of course.)
Does not appear to be assembled the same way as a Kel-Tec/child's toy. (All those screws.)

Con:
Lefty shooting looks like it might be iffy
Single tube feed results in less capacity per unit of barrel length.
Performance/durability of stock is not well established

KSG
Pro:
Designed from the ground up as a bullpup.
Bottom ejection makes lefty shooting a non-issue.
Dual mag tubes results in high capacity.

Con:
Performance/durability of base action or dual mag tube not well established.
Current parts availability
Seems to use about 300 screws to assemble it.

Discuss?

B. Lahey

The bullpuppers over on arfcom are fired up for this thingy. Apparently at some recent bullpup shoot one of these ran all day while the KT scatterpup choked by lunchtime.

They look neat in a superfunky-spaceman sort of way.

Crosshair

whats the recoil like?
My guess is that it will be like a 12 gauge.

would it work for a 20 inch barrel, shortest by law we can have here for a shotgun
I looked around and the photos in the OP seem to be with a 20" barrel.

The trigger design looks iffy, and I wonder what the pull and break on it are like.
How so? Is there some photos somewhere that show how the trigger works in detail? I too am interested in getting a look at the trigger mechanism.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Crosshair, bullpup shotguns such as the now extinct High Standard and the Mossberg have had universally egregious triggers. The long linkage seems to preclude a clean, light break. My limited experience with bullpup rifles prevents me from stating anything there.

As to the OP, I'd like to try one out.....

Crosshair

Crosshair, bullpup shotguns such as the now extinct High Standard and the Mossberg have had universally egregious triggers.
Yea, that is always the weak point in the designs. I really wanna get a look at how they pull it off. The problem hasn't been heavy triggers, but inconsistent triggers caused by the long connector needed to connect the firing mechanism to the trigger.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
The ones I tried were heavy and mushy, like they were lubed with oatmeal.

It's not impossible to make a good clean trigger on a bullpup, but it must take more work....

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
While "Cool"... I like the gun on top in the first pic better...

I bought my Mossberg Bullpup right at walmart... At that point it was my "expensive" gun... While fun and I did you some fun "drills" utilizing the portability and centered weight... It was sold to a feller who had been over shooting it who just had to have it... By this point walmart didn't carry it and no one around had one (pre www) so with much bidding he got it...

Brent

BoomieMCT

adbramsay: They say this will work with any length barrel as long as it does not have a vent rib.

As far as the trigger, not all bullpups have bad triggers. I like the trigger on my FS2000. The RFB has a good trigger. Bullpup kits have come a long way since the Muzzelite type ones <shudder>. From what I read on ARFCOM this one is pretty much like the stock trigger. I've heard the Center Balance Rifle kits for the Saiga-12 also have decent trigger linkages so it's not impossible.