Bullets

trixter

I have been looking for inesxpensive ammo for practice with my .223 bolt gun.
Have you used "Armscor .224 Caliber 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket-Boat Tail Bullets"?
If you have are they consistent in weight and size?

Panfisher

Trixter, I haven't used those bullets but Midway has some Barnes HP Flat base 55 grain .224 bullets on clearance, $52 for 500 pretty cheap and the ones I just got look pretty good though haven't gotten to try them out yet.

taylorce1

trixter said:
I have been looking for inesxpensive ammo for practice with my .223 bolt gun.
Have you used "Armscor .224 Caliber 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket-Boat Tail Bullets"?
If you have are they consistent in weight and size?

Without knowing who makes the bullet for Armscor it's going to be tough to say. Then only real way to know would be to pull a few bullets and weigh the bullet, powder charge, and the brass. The easiest way to know is to buy some ammunition and see if your rifle likes to shoot it. Good news is in my years of handloading I've not found the .223 to be super finicky, it usually shoots decent with most ammunition as long as your bullet isn't too long for the twist.

skizzums

grafs sells privi bullets which are great and cheap, i was going to try the armscor as well, but i was told not to by another experienced reloader(no first hand knowledge of them)

taylorce1

Sorry, I didn't realize the bullets you were talking about were components and not ammunition. Buy 100 of them and weigh them then you'll know how uniform they are.

Mobuck

Armscor bullets are at the bottom of the pile as far as I'm concerned. I loaded 4000-5000 from a bulk box a few years ago and found the ogive inconsistent causing considerable variation in OAL and bullet to leade distance. I can buy Hornady FMJ or SP at an affordable price and can assure you they're more precise.