• I always use the same magazine in my CCW

Votes: 35 24.1%
  • Others, Please comment.

Votes: 22 15.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ramp_tech

Do you ever unload your magazine(s)?

I just realized that I am killing the spring in the magazine by having the self-defense rounds in it all the time. I know the magazine springs are cheap but what if the spring gone bad when you require it to feed properly (like in a draw and fire situation)?

YOU GET 2 VOTES.

MisterPX

you're not hurting the springs by leaving your mag loaded. spring fatigue is caused by cycling or overcompression, neither of which is occuring to your mag.

that said, if rotating mags gives you peace of mind, then go for it.

B. Lahey

I just realized that I am killing the spring

No, you're not. Unless you have started needlessly loading and unloading you mags all the time based on your wacky delusion. If that is the case then, yes, you are.

azredhawk44

+1 to Springs wearing out from work... not compression.

Do an experiment: Buy a new mag for your gun, load it, label it and stick it in the back of your safe for 2 years.

Then, label another one and use it and only it exclusively at the range for all practice.

For safety's sake, take a 3rd mag and stick your defensive ammo in it, and use it as you feel it "should" be used. Carry this magazine if you carry.

With the range mag, unload/reload it a couple times a day.

Do this for a couple years, then take the range mag and the safe mag to the range and see which fails first.

I used to fiddle with my Glock 21 mags, and I wore out the springs in my 1 pre-ban magazine (I got it in 2001) from loading/unloading over a period of about 3 years.

My 10-rounders that just stayed loaded and saw light range duty never wore out. I noticed that spring fatigue was caused by cycles and not compression.

Since then, I've got 4 mags for my XD9: The 16 round ones stay loaded with defensive ammunition and get tested very rarely. The 15 round ones (it came with 15's) also stay loaded, but with range ammo and get emptied repeatedly when I go to the range.

The 15's are a bit looser than the 16's at this point, but both work fine. I could probably wear out the 15's by sitting at home and loading/reloading them.

3 gun

The mag spring does not go bad sitting under a static load, it goes bad by being cycled or over compressed. Think 16rds in a 15rd mag or some of the mags that you can't fully load and then seat on a closed slide.

I clean my carry mags about once a month and replace the springs at any sign of damage or every year, whichever comes first.

jmr40

A common misconception and I can see why people would think leaving a magazine loaded for long periods would harm them. I used to believe the same thing myself. I have seen too many credible reports that say it won't hurt that I do not worry about it any longer.

tomgun

loaded

hd guns have loaded mags until they rotate to range time,then to the safe.
typically every 2-3 months.
never a feed issue or ftf.

GeauxTide

Take round out of the pipe on my bedside drawer sitting 1911 every couple of weeks to inspect. Chamber a round from mag after and insert t'other. On my CCW, I load one round less than capacity and in extra mag. If I need more than 18 rounds, I'm probably dead already.

gwnorth

I've never had much luck with just loading bullets in my magazines. I get much better results when I use a whole live cartridge :D

Just had to be said for all the "mags-not-clips" "pistol-vs-revolver" and .45 Colt-vs-.45 long colt" folks.

armsmaster270

I only unload them at the range 0 Failures. They are made that way, its constant spring action from loading and unloading that weakens them.

BigJimP

You are not hurting the springs leaving them loaded .... but I unload my carry mags about once a quarter - wipe the cartridges down / clean the mag ...and reload the mags with the same rounds.

I don't cycle my carry mags thru the gun at the range on a regular basis / after I've made sure they are broken in.

patriotthad

I rotate my mags once a month. This way the springs are permitted to be at rest for a month. If you do not have enough mags buy replacement springs and rotate springs. By the way, if you have been leaving mags loaded for a long time replace all springs to start fresh.

MR.G

I used to rotate my magazines every couple of months. After reading several articles about magazine springs, I no longer do it.

Microgunner

I bought some Vietnam era US M16 20 rnd. loaded magazines still sealed in plastic from "a guy". They were loaded with 18rnds each and functioned flawlessly after about 25 years storage. On a second note, they were loaded with tracers every 5 rnds. which was a lot of fun. Still using those mags without a hitch and without a spring change.