Bullets for 7 mag

Wendyj

Been getting good results out of 140 gr Nosler BT using 62 grains of IMR4831. How do the 139 grain Hornady bullets perform verses the Nosler on penetration accuracy and expansion. Noticed Acadamy has 100 for $29.95 on sale. Can't find Noslers local at the time.

Wendyj

That's what the 140 Noslers done. Hornady seems built about the same. I can't see 1 gr making much difference but I know that my 308 liked Nosler BT but hated accubonds.

jwrowland77

The 139's that I've used, running around 31/3200fps have been down right destructive too. They do an excellent job at 2950 as well.

jwrowland77

My mild load is 57gr of IMR 4350. Generally runs 2950fps. My heavy load (but still within found data) is 62gr of IMR 4350 running around 3200fps.

The 57gr load is a really nice and easy shooting load.

CCI 250's. Win cases. OAL of 3.300"

Clark

I have shot boxes of 120 gr Nos Bal Tip, and boxes of 150 gr Nos Bal tip in 7mmRemMag.

They are great, but i am convinced that 140 gr Nos Bal Tip is the best for me and the 7mmRemMag is the best cartridge for me. I will shoot out to 500 yards and aim for the lungs. I can carry a 10 pound rifle. For that range and weight rifle, my choice of cartridge and bullet may not be optimum for everyone, but I would guess most people are in the ballpark of those decisions.

I have killed (11) big game animals with Nos Bal tip and only (1) animal with SST.

If I could not get Nos Bal Tip bullets, SST would be what I would use. They seem to be just as good from my one anecdote:)

Another anecdote is a friend of a friend [a semi friend] was hunting with another guy [I have not met him] in 2014 that got a huge bull elk with a 139 gr SST from a 7mmRemMag. I understand it was a quick death.

All the terminal ballistic advice on the internet is plagued with the problem that bullet choice is less important than bullet placement. And we don't shoot that many big game animals.

I do have thousands of experiences shooting rodents. But a 223 Vmax is not really challenged turning a rodent into pink mist.

So bullets are a lot of "you believe what you want to believe"

hooligan1

Wendyj why not also try heavier bullets? My rifle is a model 70, 26"1-9.5 twist and it really likes 160 and 168 grn bullets. I've worked up loads for a 160 grn Accubond and a 168 grn Berger Hunting VLD. The Accubond is a super penetrator while the Berger is notedvto be more explosive, I shoot it as a target alternative form my rifle. 150 grn Partitions are capable of taking most anything you could encounter.
I also load Sierra Gamekings in 140 and 160 grain.

Wendyj

It's my husbands rifle and I've been reloading some for him to be able to shoot more. He swears by the rifle and won't use anything else. He says recoil more heavy shove than snappy. Everything I've seen him shoot has stopped in its tracks. Saw a doe he hit about 5 years ago looked like it picked her up off her feet and slammed her down. He really likes the reloaded groups. .549 with prior load 3 shot group. He used to shoot 165 Sierra game kings and Federal vital shock. Both grouped about 1.5 to 1.7. Can't find him the Noslers close by so was considering the Hornadys on sale. He takes his 7 hog hunting, bear hunting and deer. We are hoping for Axis deer hunt at YO ranch in Texas late fall. I've tried to get him to use lighter rifle since its stalk and hunt. He says same thing. I'll pack the weight. By the way on the heavier bullets he's been looking all over for 165 Sierra Game Kings. Worth a try.

jmr40

Which Hornady's and what are you hunting. They make SST's, Interlocks with both flat bases and boat tails, Interbonds as well as the GMX.

The SST's are comparable to the Nosler Balistic Tips, but expand quicker. At close range at 7 mag speeds they may blow up on you. The Ballistic Tips expand fairly fast, but not as fast as the SST's. Probably fine on deer, but not anything bigger

The Interbonds are comparable to the Nosler Accubonds, but don't have the same BC's.

The Interlocks are a conventional cup and core bullet similar to Remington Corelokts.

The GMX's are copper bullets.

In my experience all Hornady bullets are very accurate. I'm mainly a 30 cal guy, but did own and load for a 7 mag briefly. I've had very good luck with Hornady's in my 308, 30-06 and 300 WSM though. I shoot a lot of interlocks, but use some SST's at the range. One of the least expensive bullets that has a high BC.

GeauxTide

In mine and several 7RM that I load for, anything under 145 grains at 3000fps makes an awful mess. Went to 154 Interbonds at 2900, viola. Half dollar exits and DRT. No more shot up meat.

Wendyj

Sale is for interlocks. He will be hunting deer, hog and bear here. Axis deer in Texas. Maybe elk hunt if he can ever draw a tag