Bullet weight variance by brand

Jay24bal

I was weighing some rifle bullets this evening, and got to wondering which brand has the most consistent weights in their bullets?

I realize that bullet weight is not the only factor pertaining to bullets to consider when it comes to consistent results downrange, but I am not trying to set world records, just keep my groups around .5 MOA or better.

That said, I work pretty much exclusively with Sierra bullets. I have found that their variance is about .4 grains. I usually buy my bullets in boxes of 500, or buy 5, 100 count boxes at a time, and usually only have 1 or 2 that fall outside this range. For example, I use 69 grain bullets in my .223, and the weights are all between 68.9-69.2. For my 175 grain 30 cal bullets, the weights are always between 174.9-175.2.

Anyone have any feedback from other brands?

Mike / Tx

Personally I only have one maybe two rifles I would ever notice much if any differences in the bullet weights unless they were WAY off.

I did have a match grade rifle built a number of years ago to shoot out to some pretty extreme ranges, and I ordered custom bullets to use in it. Even with it at ranges out to 500yds, a little weight variance didn't bother groups and it would pretty easily hold most all of them inside 2-3" if I was even half way on my game, and considerably less if I was on top of things.

What I DID find that effected things a huge amount however was the OAL differences noted by measuring the seated bullets from the base to the ogives. This would amount to fliers out of the groups of up to 4-6 inches. What I ended up doing was separating not only by weight, since I was measuring them all anyway, but also by length from base to ogive for that particular caliber. This at least allowed me to seat the now separated bullets more effectively at the same length, but even so my weight variance was roughly about the same as what your seeing with your .308's.

Using them as such i was able to shoot a 9" group at 1175yds which was my best ever with that rifle. It isn't that the whole package isn't up to repeating it, but that particular morning I had everything perfect, light, no wind, and cool temps. I am sure there have been many days since, very close to identical to that, but I haven't been able to be there shooting that rifle when they were.

Rifleman1776

I don't sweat numbers, only X's.
If switching from one brand to another time at the range is a must. If brand one is zeroed and brand two is low, adjusments are necessary. Numbers are secondary.

4runnerman

I shoot Serria out of my 308 and 6MMBR, I have found the same results you are finding. Never worried about that small of a difference. In my matches it has made no difference

Jay24bal

I agree that the differences are not that significant, I was just more curious as to what other brands were like since most of my riffle loading is done with Sierra bullets.

Anyone out there weigh other brands and see a different variation?

nemesiss45

I have weighed sierra and speer... I founf speer to vary a little more, but I didnt write down numbers, so I cant get more specific. Accuracy on the speer was still excellent though.

Smokey Joe

Go with what works...

Jay 24 Bal--You've been using Sierras. I suppose, the excellent Sierra Matchkings. I take it that you've been getting good, accurate, results with 'em.

There is a reason why more shooting records are set with SMK's than with anything else--They Work. For lots of accuracy shooters. For lots of years.

Sez I: Why mess with what works?

BumbleBug

Mike/TX said:
What I DID find that effected things a huge amount however was the OAL differences noted by measuring the seated bullets from the base to the ogives. This would amount to fliers out of the groups of up to 4-6 inches. What I ended up doing was separating not only by weight, since I was measuring them all anyway, but also by length from base to ogive for that particular caliber. This at least allowed me to seat the now separated bullets more effectively at the same length, but even so my weight variance was roughly about the same as what your seeing with your .308's.
I agree BIG-TIME with Mike on this. The weight variance is not nearly as important as how consistent the bullet's ogive to base measurement is. When I first started checking this, I was shocked at how poor some bullets are.

FWIW...

..bug

chiefr

When I shot comp many years ago, I weighed each bullet and grouped by weight. Like you, Sierra was my brand of choice.
All bullets vary by a small degree and IMHO proportional to weight. The heavier the bullet, the more variance.
Bergers and Swifts are seen at matches.
IMHO the most consistent and accurate bullets are made by Lapua.

Jay24bal

Jay 24 Bal--You've been using Sierras. I suppose, the excellent Sierra Matchkings. I take it that you've been getting good, accurate, results with 'em.

There is a reason why more shooting records are set with SMK's than with anything else--They Work. For lots of accuracy shooters. For lots of years.

Sez I: Why mess with what works?

Yep, all my target rounds are MatchKings. The only rifle rounds I make for hunting are for coyotes (OH does not allow rifles for deer, and in addition to coyote all I hunt are deer, turkey, and waterfowl) and I use Sierra Gamekings for this.

As you mention, I have no intention of switching as all my guns perform as I would like them to with the SMKs.