Bullet Trap

Hadn't really considered it. Indoors at home you have the same concerns as at any indoor range: sound and lead vapor in the air. If you live where you can do it outside, there are cheaper backstops than a commercial trap.

teeroux

For $150

For $150 you can rent a small track-hoe and build an impenatrable 5ft high wall of dirt for your backyard range.;)

Bill DeShivs

I have a piece of 10" steel pipe about 30 inches long, with a 1" backplate in my shop. It's welded to an angle iron frame.
It's filled with sand, and has a "cap" made of Armorflex insulation with a slot cut in it.
I don't feel comfortable using it here in the suburbs. Weird neighbors and a bored, gung-ho small town PD.

Bill,

That pipe sounds about the right size for a crew-served suppressor. Think about it. Don't actually do anything about it. Just think about it. ;)

Clemson

The SnailTrap is a well-made, well-designed piece of equipment. I use a large one for testing. If you can afford it, it is certainly one of the very safest ways to test firearms function.

Clemson

Slopemeno

The shop I worked at also had a "crew-served-supressor" that also sported a balance tube to soak up the gas pressure from stuff like centerfire rifles. It worked well, but there was no mistaking what the sound was.