Bullet seating die problem

dajowi

I recently loaded some 125 gr. LRN 9mm ammo. The OAL is supposed to be 1.125 but I got results all over the place from 1.122 to 1.135. I'm thinking that lead is being deposited within the bullet seating die affecting the seating depth. If this is the case is their a good/easy method to remove lead.

Would using plated bullets rather than hard cast reduce this problem?

If they start long and start getting shorter, that lube build-up is what it is. I have this problem loading large volumes of cast bullets in .45 Auto. I just keep an eye on the COL's coming off the machine and when they are getting about 0.005" shorter, I clean. I just put mineral spirits on a cotton swab and reach up into the die with it and turn it and repeat until the ear wax stops coming out. I don't adjust the die.

Last edited:

GJSchulze

If you're using a progressive, is your shell plate tight?

But really, that's a spread of .013 inches and mostly longer. Longer is safe because you're reducing the pressure. I often have a spread of .01. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start going short by too much. If you're below the maximum load, then you needn't worry. If you're at or above max, then keep your spread above the minimum OAL.

One other thing. Do you sort by headstamp or are you using a mix? Cases vary by HS enough to affect OAL in my experience. I believe this is caused by a difference in mouth tension because of variation in wall thickness or brass composition.

trixter

{It's more likely to be a wax/lube buildup. Not lead. Which removes easy.}

Yup, that happens to me all the time. I usually clean the seating die when I add primers, (every 100 rounds). Just use alcohol and swab or brake cleaner sprayed on 'Q' tip.