Bullet seating depth problem with .45 ACP...

Smokey Joe

Guys, I need some help here. Am loading up a batch of .45 ACP target ammo, using the usual run of cases, i.e. mixed manufacturer, my own previous reloads plus range pick-ups.

Am loading a 200 grain lead SWC over Win 231. It's a low-pressure target load. Has worked for me in the past, and has been reasonably accurate.

Now the problem: In seating the bullets, the bullets go into the cases with varying degrees of resistance, and I'm having trouble maintaining a consistent seating depth. One bullet goes in and the COAL is right where it should be, at 1.270" or 1.271". The next goes in and the COAL will be mebbe 4 or 5 thousandths greater. The very next goes in and the COAL will be mebbe 4 or 5 thousandths LESS!

I've separated the cases by manufacturer and that seems to help, but I'm still getting a lot of variation in the bullet seating depth.

Am loading on a Rockchucker (my Hornady Projector is not working presently) using a Dillon seating die, and crimping as a separate operation.

So, the question is: (1) is this kind of variation in seating depth significant, and (2) if it is significant, what can I do about it? By significant, I mean will it cause a dangerous condition in firing, and will it affect accuracy.

I'm certain that a high-volume reloader wouldn't be giving this much attention to each case as it gets its bullet. My background is rifle reloading, where you load far fewer cases and give each one much TLC.

So, what am I doing wrong here??? Any comments appreciated.

stacks04

also new to the reloading deal, but could it be an inconsitancy on your part with the amount of pressure you applying to the press handle? i have seen it in my short time, and pay alot attention to be consistent with it now. once the die is set and the case in placed there isnt much variable?

mkl

Case length will not affect your OAL, so trying different cases will not help. OAL is determined by the distance from the bottom of your shell holder to the point on the bullet where the seating stem makes contact.

Have you cleaned your seating stem and seating die lately? Bullet lube can build up inside the die/stem/bullet interface and screw up seating depths.

Cloudpeak

I just pulled 57 random rounds out of 100 of some 45 ACP loads that I loaded on my LNL progressive using home cast Lyman 200gr SWC's. I was going for a COAL of 1.24 and ended up with this distribution:

1.236 1
1.237 1
1.238 9
1.240 17
1.241 13
1.242 9
1.243 3

Cloudpeak

Smokey Joe

Thank you all!

My, what fast responses! Appreciated! :)

Seating die matches bullet noses--it was specifically chosen for this. Seating die is not crudded up. Press-handle-hand pressure DOES make a difference; I try to be conscious of this and be consistent.

Cloudpeak--does this +/- 0.004" variation in COAL cause any change in POI?

Will check bullet dimensions.

Again, thanks to one and all!

Cloudpeak

Cloudpeak--does this +/- 0.004" variation in COAL cause any change in POI?

Not for me:)

These loads will shoot 1" at 48 feet for me off a bench. Offhand? We won't talk about that:eek:

Cloudpeak

Tex S

You might be looking at differences in bullet length. I have found that some bullets can vary as much as 3 or 4 thousandths.

Just from looking at the numbers you posted, I wouldnt sweat it.

Just load and shoot.