Bullet pullers

LarryFlew

Looking at getting a bullet puller to replace the kinetic puller I use now. Noise issue as I do a lot of my loading when the wife has already gone to bed.

Seems to me from reading that the hornady cam lock might be a bit quicker to use. Opinions on brands etc.

OR best case someone sell me theirs with a 9mm collet:D

You guessed right the first time. The Cam-lock is the way to go. I have both that and an RCBS collet type. With the RCBS my wrist got tired of all that tightening in fairly short order. For the occasional round or a dozen at a time, it's not an issue. But when I looked at pulling nearly 1000 surplus rounds one time, it was just out of the question. I presume the same would be true of any of the other turn-to-lock collet pullers. The Hornady, though, is quick and easy and pulled all that surplus in a couple of sittings.

LarryFlew

Thanks. Kind of what I assumed. Hoping not to have to pull many (so far so good) but the hammer is a bit noisy when she is trying to sleep. Any would probably work for the few that I do but the pricing is about the same for any brand so I thought if I have to buy new I'm buying easy.

HJ857

Just a note that the RCBS puller is very difficult to use on a turret press. When you turn the handle to lock the collet, you end up spinning the turret instead. The Hornady is hands down better if used on a turret press.

If used on a single stage press the RCBS will give you the ability to really clamp down on a bullet, but that's only needed for sealed surplus (Russian) ammo where you occasionally get a round that's REALLY tight.

HJ857,

Save your wrist. The standard practice is to put your seater die in the press and set it to touch the bullets then maybe an eighth to a quarter turn deeper. Just enough so that when you run the rounds up into it you hear it set the bullet just enough deeper to break the seal. Then pull them. Much less effort is required.

dts686

The best tip I came across for using the Hornady bullet puller is to use a piece of rubber inner tube to wrap around the bullet before trying to pull it. This way the jaws that clamp down on the bullet won't leave any marks on the bullet.

adrians

i use the forster collet puller ,it's a chore to set up but does a good job,not so easy with my cast bullets though i use the kinetic one on those bad boys;)

adrians

i use the forster collet puller ,it's a chore to set up but does a good job,not so easy with my cast bullets though i use the kinetic one on those bad boys;)