bullet mold puzzlement

Rifleman1776

I just went to both the Lee and Lyman web sites and learned something very interesting regarding round ball sizes for muzzle loading rifles.
I was looking at 50 call ball molds. The one in particular I looked at is the .495 mold. Hold on, now get this, not a typo, the Lee mold casts a .492 ball.
I called Lyman and posed the question to them about their mold size for a 50 cal. Their answer is it is a .495.
I can't imagine why Lee would be so different. This could explain why folks sometimes get different results at the range with otherwise identical guns, patch, etc.
This little revelation was only for the 50 cal. ball. I haven't checked out the other sizes Lee makes like .440, .445 etc. Those could prove shockers.

Pahoo

This could explain why folks sometimes get different results at the range with otherwise identical guns, patch, etc
This is actually true or at least that is how it pans out for me. Most of the time I shoot .490 and then there are times when I shoot .495 in one particular rifle. Even patch thickness will give you different results. Although I have never done so, I suppose there are folks out there that would prefer the .492. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

crowbeaner

I have both .490" and .495". BP rifles are particular about loading; some shoot better with a .495 ball and a thinner patch than others where a .490 ball and thicker patch shoot well. If you shoot much, you'll find that the best way to go is to buy at least 4 pouds of propellant from the same lot at a time, and try both to see just what combo your rifle prefers. This minimizes lot-to-lot variations in the powder, which can be quite large depending on the type and how long the stuff has been on the shelf. The .492 ball from Lee doesn't surprise me at all; I have some of their molds, and 2 identical ones may have as much as a .003" difference in casting diameter with the same alloy.
I wish Lee would devise a 4 cavity designed like their 2 cavity moulds because the 6 bangers have a tendency to throw larger bullets from the inside cavities due to warpage. I think the 4 banger would throw more consistent diameter slugs, and the 100% increase in volume would make my time at the pot MUCH more productive.

Rifleman1776

I know how to dial in a muzzle loading rifle and understand ball/patch/other factors affecting accuracy.
The post has to do with the puzzlement why Lee makes their, supposed, 495 round ball mold an actual .492.
It doesn't make sense. They should call it a ".492".
I wrote the company asking that question but they have not, as yet, responded.

Pahoo

The one in particular I looked at is the .495 mold. Hold on, now get this, not a typo, the Lee mold casts a .492 ball.
Talk about a puzzlement, I misread your original message. You are saying that on a listed .495, it is actually producing a .492. .... Duh .. :eek:

Been so long since I ran any .495 or .490, that I really can't say what they mic. at this point. Guess I never paid that much attention. I do know that the .495 or whatever, has always shot better than .490, in my Penn. Hunter.

Will have to go back and check but at this point, don't really know if it makes that much difference as all my .495's are matched. ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Rifleman1776

Out of curiosity, I measured 20 round balls, from pure lead, I recently cast with a single cavity Lee mold. These were all cast at the same session and are good, wrinkle free balls.
.491-2
.492-8
.492-3
.494-4
others .498 to .501 I consider anomolies.
Measurements were taken at the equator with sprue up avoiding the seam. Trying several places did not yield changes from the 'equator' measurement.
I think it is clear this is a .492 mold but we shouldn't expect perfect results everytime. I know that from experience over many years. But I still want my 495 mold to be made to produce .495 balls.

Rifleman1776

Pahoo, mostly I wonder "why"? We are not getting what we want when we are buying a Lee mold. My information came from the Lee website. Later I'll go back and see if such a strange situation exists with other size round ball molds. e.g. is a 445 mold really a .442?
I am not a fan of the Lee company but I do buy some of their products because of price. It is hard to spend $60 to $80 on a Lyman mold when the Lee are only $20.

Pahoo

I am not a fan of the Lee company but I do buy some of their products because of price. It is hard to spend $60 to $80 on a Lyman mold when the Lee are only $20.
Perhaps there in lies the problem. My runs are faster with the Lees but once I get my Lymans up to a good temp, I like them better. Most of my molds are Lyman but my .495/.492, is a Lee. Makes me happier to know that a round ball is very forgiving. I've never taken the time to measure them, just weigh the end product. I also run Maxi-Balls, Maxi-Hunters and Lee R.E.A.L. On these I have noticed lighter weights than what is listed. .... :rolleyes:

Going to have to play with these a bit more ....... ;)

Be Safe !!!