Bullet flowers

bushidomosquito

She always complains that I never give her flowers. With mothers day comming I decided to do something about that and have a little fun in the process.

I started with the nicely expanded jackets of some .40 cal. Goldensabers fired into a row of water filled milk jugs. Then I took some 10mm Barnes solid copper bullets, chucked them into a drill and spun them while spiltting the ogive part off with a dremel cutting disk. I had some silver wire in the jewelery bench so I cut some short lengths and heated the ends until a little ball formed on each one. These are the stamens and they really make the whole project. A few fired but not deformed WWB FMJs with 1/8 in. holes drilled through for the silver stem wires make nice bodies for the flowers. A little epoxy to hold everything together in an obvious way and my gun girl has flowers that will never shrivle and die.

I have done this before with silver solder and it holds them together very well but the heat anneals the jacket brass and makes polishing pretty difficult.

I would like to do some variations with different bullet types and calibers. I have found that an unfired 9mm bullet sits perfectly in a .40 jacket and .40 in a .45 jacket, ect. You guys with .50 cal guns could make some pretty big impressive multipetaled ones with .50 in a .45 in a .40 and a 9mm unfired to top it off. I'm a metalworker and jeweler at heart so I've gone so far as to cut empty brass cases down the sides with a jewelers saw and file and hammer it into leaves that sit further down the stem wire. Some people don't even believe they are made of ammo componets until they see the headstamp under the leaves. 18 kt. gold stamens look pretty slick too.

If you have a gun friendly gal in your life then she will probably think these are the best flowers a girl could ask for.

Attachments

• bullet flowers 012.jpg
    bullet flowers 012.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 426
  • bullet flowers 016.jpg
    bullet flowers 016.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 325
  • bullet flowers 027.jpg
    bullet flowers 027.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 381

bushidomosquito

And more photos...

Attachments

• bullet flowers 028.jpg
    bullet flowers 028.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 211
  • bullet flowers 029.jpg
    bullet flowers 029.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 190
  • bullet flowers 030.jpg
    bullet flowers 030.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 213

bushidomosquito

And more...

Attachments

• bullet flowers 031.jpg
    bullet flowers 031.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 150
  • bullet flowers 032.jpg
    bullet flowers 032.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 572
  • bullet flowers 034.jpg
    bullet flowers 034.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 185

SilentHitz

LOL, I think that was a great idea. Shows you cared enough to take the time to make something, instead of just running to the florist. Good job, I personally think they look great! :cool:

Shadi Khalil

I showed the pics to people around the office. They really like them and asked who makes them. No one really knew they were bullets till i told them.

bushidomosquito

Thanks everybody. I would like to post the original high res pics that look much better but I don't know how. Can anyone help?

Also, some tips if you want to make some...

Fill the bottom 6" of a tall bucket with sand and the rest with water. Then you can fire the rounds into the bucket and dig them out one at a time. My old setup for harvesting bullets had a 1/2" piece of lexan with a 2" hole in it that I would shoot through to protect from ricoches. Really wet newspaper works too.

Don't use Goldensaber Bonded, save those for self defense because you want the jackets to come away from the lead. An expanded Hydra Shok or gold dot with the little stem that sticks out from the center of the lead looks pretty good as the center of the flower and you can skip the stamen wires.

If you don't mind polishing the scale off of flimsy annealed brass and copper then a micro torch and some silver solder is the way to go but the clear epoxy is fine. Maybe this is a good thing because you can easily bent the "petals" out and make them look right. If you have a tumbler then solder them and shine them up in there.

You can chuck up on an empty brass case in a drill and put the unfired bullets in it to cut the right length off with a dremel and cutoff disk. Just spin them in opposite directions for a nice square cut. I don't have to tell you if you do that with lead then don't breathe the dust!

A brass case works pretty well for the body and the flash hole can be drilled out for the stem wires. I like this because some people just would not believe that they were bullets until they saw the headstamp on the brass.

Polish everything up and spray with some clear auto paint to keep them shiney.

bushidomosquito

Teif,

I don't own a patent or anything on the idea but I do claim credit for thinking it up. You're free to make and sell as many as you like. The hard part is getting your hands on enough nicely expanded jackets. The ideas from my head are endless. Gold, silver and platinum plating, for instance are pretty inexpensive on bulk pieces and don't even get me started on japanese patinas.:rolleyes: With the patinas and some very old metal texturing tecniques I have turned out a few that looked very much like real flowers. Depending on your metalworking skills (the only thing I can really claim to be an expert on) you could really go all out with them. You'd be surprised how many ammo componets lend themselves perfectly to this idea. I have made over two dozen different types with nothing but a G23 but have given them all away as gifts and never thought to take pictures until I ran across a whole forum of good folks here that I knew would appreciate the idea.

For anyone that absoloutly must have some, if you send me the expanded jackets I will make them for you the right way, soldered and carefully hand polished with sterling silver stamens and silver solder stems for the low price of around 15 good expanded jackets for every 1 jacket made into a flower and sent back to you. At around a buck a round that's $16 dollars apiece for finished product plus the hassle of having to shoot your gun a few times. For the truly interested just p.m. me to work out the details.

And thank you all for the compliments.

Shadi Khalil

Bush!!!!!!

Oh man, I was totally kididing, infact i didnt even read the rest of your post before I replied. I would never dream of taking someones art and selling it as my own. I just love a good idea when i see it, then i see $$$$$$$ :D

I'd like to see those high res. shots, has anyone showed you how to get them up?

GoSlash27

If any of you guys know women who would appreciate these for what they are, I highly recommend getting them a bouquet. They're special and should be rewarded :D

bushidomosquito

Still have no idea how to do the hi-res. I know it can be done because I've seen them here before. Actually, now you got me to thinking, if the response to these simple ones that I threw together in a few hours is this good then maybe I should consider selling the whole wide variety. If I had pictures of the ones I made a few years ago people would really flip. Still need to get my hands on some nice water expanded .45 Goldsaber and Hydra-shok jackets, till then I'm stuck with .40.

By the way, in japan flowers are considered very manly. I think I've improved on that concept a bit.:D

OnTheFly

I've got an anti-gun friend who I would like to give them to and not say what they are for about a year.

Seriously though...in order to display a high res photo, you need to store the photo off site (i.e., www.photobucket.com) and then link to them in your post using the "Insert Image" (
insertimage.gif
) button. To use this button you just need to...
  1. Open the photo website and navigate to the image you would like to display in your post
  2. Right-click the desired image and select "Copy image location"
  3. While posting to TFL, click the
    insertimage.gif
    button
  4. Select or delete the entire text-box content (usually http://)
  5. Right click in the text box
  6. Select "Paste" from the menu
  7. Click "OK".
Hope this helps.

Fly