bullet casting for modern muzzleloader

LOUD

I was just wondering if anyone was casting their own for a modern 50 cal muzzleloader. I have only fired copper jacketed /saboted projectiles . Any info on this subject would be appreciated.............LOUD

Beagle333

I only shoot cast balls in mine, but if you're going to shoot sabots, any cast bullet that fits would work. I think most sabots use a .44 bullet don't they?
A nice big cast .44 HP would look good in a sabot.

Mule

I have played around with the LEE, REAL 50 caliber bullet as well as the LEE Minie bullet. Both shot reasonably well from my 1-28 barrel. I eventually settled on a 240gr sabot for flatter trajectory.

Elkins45

I hollow pointed one cavity of a Lee 300 grain 45 bullet and cast some from pure lead to shoot with sabots in my Savage 10ML II. I shot a small doe in the middle of her lungs broadside at about 40 yards with one. Later that year when eating a piece of tenderloin my tooth crunched on a torn off section of bullet nose, so I think it's safe to say the bullet expanded!

I think I may just go back to casting from the unaltered cavity because a 300 grain pure lead flat nosed 45 bullet really doesn't need any help to be an effective killer.

David Bachelder

I just bought a Tradidions 50 cal side lock muzzle loader. I also bought a mold and I cast almost all of my other bullets (pistol that is).

I'll be casting round balls before long, keep us posted, I'm curious.