Bulk 180gr soft point?

mardanlin

I've been looking around on the Internet for a bulk amount of 180gr (30 cal) bullets but the most I find at a time are 100rd boxes. Is this normal or are there some distributors that sell hunting bullets in bulk? Just trying to save a few pennies on each one if I can because I know I'll need a bunch of them in the future.

If anyone knows where to find bulk 168gr that would be nice too. I could even settle on 150gr if they were cheap enough (these are for a different rifle).

Mike / Tx

A couple of years back I looked at the assorted mess in my reloading closet of this, that, and the other, boxes of bullets I had for my rifles. I decided that since about half of them weren't even in production anymore, I would work my way through those as needed. Like you I wanted to simply purchase a bulk bullet that would suit my needs, be pretty accurate, and be a decent hunting bullet.

Granted this was well before the whoopla we have had for the past few years. I started picking up a hundred or so of the Winchester and Remington bulk as I figured these were the same one loaded into the standard factory ammo. I knew that both brands shot well through both my .308 and my couple of 03A3's and they put meat in the freezer every time I used them while hunting.

I took one box of 150 and 165gr factory loads and a box of each brand in both weights to the farm and worked up loads which duplicated the OAL, and velocity of these factory loads. When I was done my loads were actually within a very narrow range of being right with the factory loads and my accuracy with them was actually a touch better.

Of the two the Remington CL's shot the best in both rifles so I ordered 1K of each weight. Since then I have picked up another 500 of each as well so I am pretty much set.

In the meantime I had a 25-06 AI built, and I ran across a fellow who was selling the 120gr Rem CL's in .257. I picked up a couple hundred if for nothing else to use as fireform loads. I quickly found that these shot excellent, and would hold up much better than I originally though they would at the velocity I am running them at. So again I stocked up.

To be honest, for all the talk about them the CL's can be made to shoot pretty darned accurately with not a lot of work. They can usually be had in both a spitzer and RN version as well. They have a very good track record in the hunting field to top things off. They might not be Berger's or shoot world record groups, but they aren't usually priced all that bad, and they are usually available in bulk of 1K or sometimes even more.

Just a thought.