BUL Storm / CZ 97 Opinions

Chindo18Z

Have recently been looking at CZs (along with other potential toys). Am going to order a stainless CZ75, but the CZ 97 has also caught my eye (forget caliber or capacity...I´m happy with 9mm or .45 ACP). To add to my schizophrenia, I discovered BUL Storm (apparently an Israeli CZ 75 clone). The price is under $400. I own or have owned numerous CZ 75/85s. Does anyone have experience with BUL products? I don´t. How about the CZ 97? I am not familiar with BUL except what I have read at their web site. Opinions? Get the stainless original? Get the cheaper BUL clone? Go with the .45 CZ? I´m not a "gun of the week" person...I like proven designs that work (SIG, 1911, Hi-Power, Glock, etc.) Weapon to be used for defense not a conversation piece...

[This message has been edited by Chindo18Z (edited March 05, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Chindo18Z (edited March 05, 2000).]

Tecolote

Chindo,

The BUL Storm is basically a Tanfolgio pistol assembled and slightly modified by BUL (www.bultransmark.com/products/storm.html). You might be better of getting a Tanfoglio (tanfoglio.iinet.net.au/html/defence-p.html).

IMI is now making a 45 as well. As other IMI pistols this one too uses a Tanfoglio made frame and slide(www.magnumresearch.com). I've never had a bad experience with IMI pistols in 9mm or 40SW. I suspect their 45s are just as reliable.

The CZ97 has gotten positive reviews. The respected writer Peter Kokalis likes quite a bit. It is, however, a large pistol (www.cz-usa.com/cz97.html). If you don't mind the heft this might be an option.

Which SIG Sauer do you favor? A friend of mine is considering a Browning HiPower, what do you think of them?

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

[This message has been edited by Tecolote (edited March 05, 2000).]

Gregg

Chindo18Z, I have no experience with any Bul product but I do own a CZ 97B. With this firearm I have fired the most impressive groupings of any firearm I own. I am by no means an expert but suffice it to say I highly recommend the CZ 97 if, as you say, it is "to be used for defense not a conversation piece..." BTW the CZ 97B comes with a 10rnd capacity magazine.HTH.-Gregg

Chindo18Z

Tecolote & Gregg: Thanx for the feedback. I had never seen a BUL until I handling the Storm (along with some BUL 1911s). I think I'll pass for now and just get the CZ. I agree...the 97 is big, but after years of 1911 and Beretta 92 carry, I think I could get used to the size. As far as SIGs (I don't currently own one), my favorite is the 226. Hi-Powers? Love 'em! But, honestly, the CZ-75 is a better pistol (all the P-35's good points plus some...) I parted with my last Browning at the same time I got my first CZ.

MusclesMcGee

CZ 97 isn't that big. Its Grip is similar to a Sig 220 (sizewise), and its balanced like a 1911. Nice gun, long trigger though.

Hard Ball

I have just gotten a CZ97B. It is about the size of a Model 1911A1 and about two ounces heavier. I took it to a local indoor range and fired 200 rounds of military surplus .45ACP ball for initial break in. It fired all 200 rounds with no malfunctions. Now if it will ever stop raining here I will take it out to the range and wring it out.

I was particularly impressed by the capability to carry cocked and locked or hammer down first shot double action/

Skorzeny

Is the single action trigger reach on the CZ-97 similar in length to that on CZ-75?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu