Building custom rifles

sadsack

Does anyone here do custom work? I've been looking for threads on custom work hoping to borrow(steal) ;) some ideas.

kraigwy

I've built several, mostly target rifles. What are you looking for. I'm not in business (dont want want to fool with ATF and Insurance), but I might be able to help with advice.

sadsack

Nothing in particular Kraig, just looking for new ideas. I build mostly sporter and varmint rifles. One that I'm working on now for myself is a 96 mauser mannlicher that I've fitted with a 98 bolt. I bought the bolt from a fellow that started the project and was either stuck or just got tired of it. I've still got quite a bit to do on it yet, and it may take a while. I only get to work on it every now and then.
Do you build for Palma, High Power or Bench Rest?

kraigwy

Do you build for Palma, High Power or Bench Rest?

Mostly High Power and 1000 yard guns. And turning 1911s into Match Hardball guns. Built several hunting rifles for friends and relatives.

sadsack

I've been thinking about getting back into High Power, but I keep putting it off. I've got a friend that goes to Oak Ridge several times a year with a Garand. I've put together a mouse gun just incase I do decide to go.
What actions do you use mostly for your rifles?

kraigwy

I'm a big fan of Winchester Model 70 actions. I like the flat action, in my mind its more ridged. Also they are better adapted to recieve sights then other flat actions such as the mauser.

sadsack

Not many of still like a good set of receiver sights. I get a lot of (What the H**L is that) looks when people see my deer rifle. It's an 18" barreled 700 / 308 with a set of XS sights. I turned the barrel down for their Mini-14 front blade, and had to mill the bottom of the rear sight base, but it works. I get a good sight picture with this setup, even with my tired old eyes. With the Brown Precision stock it only weighs about 6 lbs, and its easy to carry.