Building AR-15

Nightcrawler

I'm thinking of getting a friend of mine a stripped AR-15 lower for Christmas. He's pretty good at putting things together, and I figure he can save up the $450 or so it costs for a complete parts kit from somebody like J&T Distributing.

How hard is it to put the fire control parts into the lower receiver? The kits J&T sells have the barrels and gas tubes already installed onto the upper, I believe, so he won't have to hassle with that.

Where can he find easy, preferably printable instructions on building the lower?

What's the best stripped lower receiver I should get him? Where's the best (cheapest) place to get a quality one that's compatible 100% with the parts kits?

Thanks.

Calanctus

I've seen these instructions for assembling the lower receiver on the Old Ar15.com site Looks like the only special tools you need are some roll pin puches, roll pin holders, and a special wrench if you use a telescoping-style stock. I'd check around on a Rock River Arms lower...great fit & finish, and I've seen them for as low as $90 online (check Gunsmoke Inc. or KT Accuracy inc. Good luck on the project!

Skullboy

Nightcrawler, go to the Bushmaster website www.bushmaster.com.They have a few exploded diagrams of AR upper and lower recievrs on the site and in their catologe.You can also buy them from Bushmaster.They also sell the military field manuals. HTH.

Skullboy.

chink

it is actuallly extremely interesting. I did it in 1/2 hour or so only time I ever did it, i didn't have the roll pin punch, so thre are still some parts that aren't installed yet, but the parts that don't require the punch don't take very long. I was building off an rock river arms lower with the dpms lower parts kit. and an A1 stock and buffer tube I picked up at a gun show.