building an AR

tshadow6

Are there any parts for the AR C&R eligible? I'm getting the AR-15 itch, but my funds are limited. I've heard of people building their own, so I'm looking at that option. Like Johnny Cash sang, "One piece at a time" might not be so hard on my wallett. Any ideas?

jem375

Why not just buy either an upper or lower right now and get the other one when you get the money.....I bought an A2 upper for a very good price and about 6 months later bought a lower and just put them together for a very good rifle........

The lower receiver is the only part that would need an FFL, everything else can be shipped directly to your house. I would find a lower and buy the rest a piece at a time.

For more help on how to build I would recommend AR15.com.

DougW

I am putting together #6 rifle this week. An M4 kit from Del-Ton with shipping was right at $500. Paid $86 for a stripped Stag lower, and for less that $600 another black rifle (that will be a deseert camo painted) will be born.

You can also peacemeal the rifle together. The upper would probably be the highest cost single piece, but you can do it over time. I have done this when funds were tight, and overall, it costs more, but sometimes you have to be practical. Include ammo and magazines in your rifle build estimates too.

Gunner69

Where'd ya find the lower for $86 I've been searching for the last couple weeks and everything is $100 plus...

DougW

Sorry for the delay to respond Guner69, I have a good friend that is an 01FFL, and he sells them to me at cost plus freight and state taxes. I have seen Stags for around $90 to $95 at funshows.

Logs

I shot a match a few weeks ago at Camp Perry. The DPMS truck was there and they were selling several DPMS models for $599 + tax. Pretty good buy.

You might want to see when they will bring the big truck display to your area.

WhyteP38

Got my stripped Stag lower from Title2 (http://www.title2.com/Stagarms.html) for $105 delivered. Probably about the same as a gunshow price, when you factor in gunshow admission fee and tax. Downside is that you can't actually look at the lower and pick out the best looking one. Still, mine was perfect. BTW, the price drops when you buy multiple units.

Title2 may be out of stock. If so, you can contact them and see when they expect more.

DnPRK

All of my AR-style rifles were built a piece at a time. Buy stripped lowers when you find a good deal. All the other parts are found at gun shows or off the internet when money becomes available.

SSN_Doc

I believe AIM surplus offers a discount to C&R FFL holders though the lower receivers can't be purchased directly by C&R holders. Also AIM had Superior Arms lowers for $89 a while back. I picked one up for a build and have been quite happy with it.