"Building" a Garand

Guy B. Meredith

Is there any cost/effort benefit to purchasing one of the CMP Garands and building it up with new stock, barrel or whatever (not familiar with semi-auto rifles or Garands)? Costs? What is best left to a gunsmith? Which to start with, maybe rack grade Danish or Greek?

gxi.llc

The CMP is an excellent way to get a Garand, much cheaper than any other alternative. I am very happy with the one I got from them. I got one of their service grade, and it came with a new barrel and op rod. They replace anything out of spec, but you still need to take it to an M1 guy to have it checked out before using it - the CMP doesn't do that before they ship it out.

It is best to find someone who has experience with M1's rather than just any gunsmith. I found a former armorer to do some work on mine - great guy, must be in his seventies. If you want to get one totally redone, Krieger will fit one with one of their excellent barrels, lap the lugs, glass bed whatever stock you send them, etc. for around $800. You'd end up with a pretty sweet rifle for under $1200.

Awesome rifle, any way you choose to go. You won't regret it.

Clemson

Guy, I don't know about a cost benefit, but there would certainly be a great deal of satisfaction and knowledge to come from a project like that. I have bought two CMP service grade rifles, and I have been sorely tempted to do a rack grade project rifle just as you suggest. I actually have a stock and hardware on hand, but I might look to a Wenig or Boyds anyway. I have rebarreled bolt action rifles, so I have the knowledge to rebarrel a Garand, just lacking the action wrench (Brownells, here I come!). I have actually contemplated doing one in .308 just for variety.

If you decide to "pull the trigger" on this project, keep us posted on your progress.

Clemson

TheEgg

I have rebuilt an O3-A3 and had so much fun, that I have decided I don't care a lot about a few dollars one way or another. :) My approach will almost certainly be more expensive than others, but I look at it as entertainment, not investment.

I am a few steps ahead of you on this project!

This is what I have done so far. Got set up with CMP and ordered a SG SA, a Greek H&R RG, and a stripped SA receiver. The receiver got here today -- it has a January 1944 serial number. The other two rifles are on back order -- I would expect the Greek to get here in 1 to 2 months and the SA to take about 6 (if they don't run out before then!).

My plan, such as it is, is to 1) Leave the SG SA pretty much as is when it gets here, other than clean up, replacing any questionable parts, etc. 2) Send the Rack Grade Greek to a reputable gunsmith for a complete re-park/re-build/re-stock to make it look and function like new, and 3) over time, purchase all the parts and tools needed to build up another one on the receiver, doing it myself, except for the bbl. installation - think I will let my gunsmith handle that.

This ought to keep me busy for a while!!!