Build a HD Rem1100

DE Shooter

I already have a (primary HD piece) and a backup for it too. Neither is a shotgun. I've used 870s and Brownings many years for hunting and for various clay disciplines. Now I want to try my hand at building an HD Rem 1100...my pumping days are over due to a serious shoulder injury. If I had the money I'd just buy a Tac4 for or maybe try an FN or Benelli type HD version. I have a choice to buy for <$300 an old 1100 Trap or an old 1100 Magnum. The Magnum has seen alot less rounds. I plan on putting a pistol grip stock, extending the tube, cutting the barrel down alittle to match the tube, and adding Ghostring sights. I don't know much about 1100s. Will cutting the barrel down to 18-22inches affect the gas operating system? I see that the trap has a 2-hole system and the magnum has a 1-hole system. I reload so I can custom load for premium operation. I know I can save an eventually get whatever I want...just thought it would be fun to pick my accessories...since it will not be my grap first piece. Any help appreciated.

oneounceload

You won't cut the barrel short enough to affect the gas ports - they're located where the ring on the barrel is. I'm hoping that by pistol grip you mean a full stock that also has a pistol grip as opposed to a PGO grip, because you have a recoil spring that goes into the stock - better to just leave that alone.

You won't need GR sights for a HD gun - a simple bed will suffice. If your plan is to slam a lot of hot buckshot loads, then get the magnum version so you won't batter the receiver to death

zippy13

As my friend, 1-oz, pointed out, pistol grip only stocks and R-1100s don't mix. There's the action spring housing in the stock.

If the gun is a little sluggish, assuming everything is correct, it wouldn't hurt to enlarge the gas vent(s) one drill size -- a common mod for comp guns shooting light target loads.

DE Shooter

It will be a full butt stock with pistol grip...I like the looks of the Rem thumbhole and the Speedfeed variations.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
When Remington marketed an 1100 variant for Practical stuff, they had the barrel at 22". I believe there was a reason for that.

Dwell time may be crucial. I'd rather leave the barrel a hair longer than have to drill out the port.

TJH3781

Personally, I would keep all the original parts as backups just in case something failed. I would also buy the repair kit that Brownell's sells & extra seals for the gas system.